Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,953   Posts: 1,586,005   Online: 780

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Linear Polarizing Filters

Hey gang,
    I was given a B+W linear polarizing filter from a friend who didn't need it anymore (nice friend, huh?). I've read on the B+W site that linear polarizing filters cannot be used on TTL metering cameras. I always thought that that affected autofocus cameras only. I have a Nikon F3 with 80/20 center weighted metering. Could I use my TTL meter with this filter or will I get unreliable results?

Thanks in advance for all responses,
    Ara
    Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The light coming off (or through the half-silvered) mirror before it hits the metering sensor(s) gets polarised by the silvering. This will case a linear polariser to mess up the metering. Not sure if the same thing happens with off-the-film metering systems, but basically, if it hits, or goes through a mirror, before reaching the exposure sensors it needs a circular polariser.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have a linear polarizer filter (Hoya) which I routinely use with both my Nikon FG-20 (non autofocus) and F100 (autofocus). So far, I have never had any trouble with metering with the filter on (even with the F100!).

This is based on my experience only, your results might vary

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have two linear polarisers, (one screw mount, one cokin A series). I use both on my SLR cameras, Olympus OM-1 and Praktica BX20, with no metering problems.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Polarizing filters, linear or "circular", should, in theory at least, should have NO affect on the measurement of the "strength" of light passing through them.
    I'll access B+W's site to try to see exaclty what is said.
    Possibly a translation error?
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sterioma
    I have a linear polarizer filter (Hoya) which I routinely use with both my Nikon FG-20 (non autofocus) and F100 (autofocus). So far, I have never had any trouble with metering with the filter on (even with the F100!).

This is based on my experience only, your results might vary
    I'm surprised it works fine on the F100. I've always read that they give autofocus cameras a problem. I'd simply try the filter out, but it's a 58mm and all my lenses are 52mm so I'd need a step up ring. I'd rather put the money toward the proper filter.
    Ara

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There have been certain cameras that a linear will affect the metering and the AF functions, in practical use when we were testing when I worked in the foto store, we found that it did not neccessarly have to do with the linear, but with the 2 stop light loss that gave the AF system problems, now these were not extensive tests and almost always occurred on the cameras that had slower lenses. I use a linear on my 9xi and don't have any problems with metering or AF functions....but as sterioma said, your mileage may vary.

Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    There have been certain cameras that a linear will affect the metering and the AF functions, in practical use when we were testing when I worked in the foto store, we found that it did not neccessarly have to do with the linear, but with the 2 stop light loss that gave the AF system problems, now these were not extensive tests and almost always occurred on the cameras that had slower lenses. I use a linear on my 9xi and don't have any problems with metering or AF functions....but as sterioma said, your mileage may vary.

Dave
    I would think that both linear and circular give the same light loss, do they not?
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller
    I would think that both linear and circular give the same light loss, do they not?
    Yes,

I am sure your right Dave, but I am sure it had something to do with the way the light transmission occured, as I said, it was not formal testing in any way shape or form, I have a really good article around here about polarisers I will have to dig out, that explains a great many things...I think that it really depends on the cameras itself, I know I have been told many things, then found out in my particular case the information was not as I was told, like many things in photography.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dave,
    So is it safe to say that with a Nikon F3 with Nikkor AI lenses I should be okay metering with a linear filter?
    Ara

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin