Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,298   Posts: 1,535,738   Online: 819

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Leaf Shuttered lenses for small format.

My Mamiya 645 SLR has a shutter with leaf lenses available, but I was wondering if there were leaf shuttered lenses ever available in the smaller 35mm format? Any for SLR's?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't remember seeing any seperate lenses for 35mm bodies, but many of the older rangefinder 35mm cameras are leaf shutter lens cameras such as the Yashica 35 electro and the Minolta Hi-Matic.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you have a bellows for the 35 you can put just about any lens with a leaf shutter on it. I did that years ago with a Nikon & 135 Tessar & had fun with it. You may have to cobble a mount for the lens but that's part of the challenge.
    Vivitar made a T mount bellow many years ago that was really good quality & had the advantage of the mount being somewhat larger to accomodate the T mounts. Made using gaffers tape really easy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pentax sells an adaptor to fit MF lens on it's k mount cameras. I don't know if you could fit a 645 leaf shutter lens onto the adapter but it's something to look at.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Canonette QL17 is a leaf shuttered fixed lens Rangefinder. I'm not sure of any others.

Mike Davis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider
    My Mamiya 645 SLR has a shutter with leaf lenses available, but I was wondering if there were leaf shuttered lenses ever available in the smaller 35mm format? Any for SLR's?
    There have been a moderate number of leaf-shutter 35 mm SLRs, e.g., Kowa, Contaflex, Retina Reflex, and more. But all, AFAIK, with convertible lenses (interchangeable front elements) or lens in front of shutter. That is, none with interchangeable lenses in shutter.

Also many, many leaf-shutter 35 mm folders and rigid bodied cameras. So many that I'm surprised you asked.

What do you hope to accomplish?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    There have been a moderate number of leaf-shutter 35 mm SLRs, e.g., Kowa, Contaflex, Retina Reflex, and more. But all, AFAIK, with convertible lenses (interchangeable front elements) or lens in front of shutter. That is, none with interchangeable lenses in shutter.

Also many, many leaf-shutter 35 mm folders and rigid bodied cameras. So many that I'm surprised you asked.

What do you hope to accomplish?
    The 35mm models you mention above I did not know of. I was more interested in any lenses w/shutters available for a typical SLR line. It was just a matter of my inquisitiveness as to whether a leaf shuttered lens for a 35mm camera would give less vibration then a body shutter or a body shutter and mirror combo, especially at slow speeds.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 35mm models you mention above I did not know of. I was more interested in any lenses w/shutters available for a typical SLR line. It was just a matter of my inquisitiveness as to whether a leaf shuttered lens for a 35mm camera would give less vibration then a body shutter or a body shutter and mirror combo, especially at slow speeds.
    Yes, lenses in shutters (Copals, Compurs, Prontors, Seikos, etc.) can work well on both 35mm SLRs and MF SLRs. In general, you need a bellows or extension tube/focusing helicoid to make them work. As a consequence, you are limited in terms the focal lengths you can use.

For example, I routinely use a bellows mounted 150mm Rodenstock Apo Ronar in Copal 0 shutter on my ARAX CM 6x6 SLR for macro photography (thus slow shutter speeds).
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tom Hoskinson suggested one way, but you have to understand that it can be awfully slow working. Open lens shutter. Open diaphragm up to widest. Focus, compose; or compose, focus. Close lens shutter. Stop lens down to shooting aperture. Cock lens shutter. Fire SLR shutter on B or T. Fire lens shutter. Close SLR shutter. lower mirror, advance film. Open lens shutter. And so on.

I think on the whole -- Tom may disagree -- you'd be better off with good support or, where possible, illumination by electronic flash to eliminate the effects of camera and subject movement.

FWIW, I also use process lenses in barrel on my Nikons. With good support and, where possible, shooting mirror up (mirror lock or the self-timer trick) I get good results. My current daydream is to put a male Nikon mount on a plate that will fit a 2x3 Graflok back so I can use my Graphics to get the extension needed and shoot cheap 35 mm film. See my report in the "roll y'r own" forum on my tandem camera.

Sorry, ain't no magic bullets where you're looking,

Dan

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    Tom Hoskinson suggested one way, but you have to understand that it can be awfully slow working. Open lens shutter. Open diaphragm up to widest. Focus, compose; or compose, focus. Close lens shutter. Stop lens down to shooting aperture. Cock lens shutter. Fire SLR shutter on B or T. Fire lens shutter. Close SLR shutter. lower mirror, advance film. Open lens shutter. And so on.
    Dan
    Sounds like LF photography.

Ok, then essentially then there isn't any.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin