Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,765   Posts: 1,484,078   Online: 949

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Own the next best thing....Voigtlander R2 with a 35mm lens for $399

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi, there. I own a M3 with a 50mm cllapsible lens and have used it on some occsasions. I'd like to use it as much as I can because of the quality of the pictures it produces, which hardly takes much work. But there was one event in the past that kind of changed the way I handle my camera.

My experience with the repair service at Leica USA years ago left me thinking about finding an alternative. To get my M3 repaired, I remember it took close to one year with a few check-ups with the service response unexpectedly unprofessional and cost me and more than 500 USD to replace the sutter parts. Prior to that time, I also had heard there was also a woman who used to work for Leica, living in Upstate New York or somewhere and does Leica repair. I kind of regretted afterwards to see what would've happened if I had asked her instead. I might simply have had a bad luck, though.

So, while waiting for my M3 to come back, I just needed to do a little thinking on the side. I had a Nikon SLR with its old (non-Ai) lenses, but that was hardly able to fulfill my needs.

Since then I've been mostly shooting with Canon New F1, a SLR with NFD lenses, but it's not just any camera I picked up for the replacement of the M3 to use in the field. The optics of NFD lenses are quite good, producing very satisfying results with its contrast being rather low. It has also taught me to learn to see with different types of lenses from very wide to telephoto without losing any quality(at a moderate cost and time), and I can't think of any other camera for the most part.

But years have passed and I feel like I can explore more with a Leica rangefinder again. I missed the feel of it when I carry around a camera. Now I have a good buddy-camera Canon on my side for the quality of my pictures in consistency, so I guess I'm ready to take another chance a bit higher. Yes, I'm ready to fall in love again, but this time with perhaps a (beatup) M4-P or M4-2 (to primarily use a 35mm lens) and travel around with it. The chrome M3 will stay home for taking portraits because of its gentle look that appeals to the subject I choose. And I'm sure there are other cameras to come along, but I just haven't started to look for any.

Thanks for reading my story.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I do not think my M7 will ever see the top of the Mt. Everest

But indeed there is a lot of difference with camera's under difficult circumstances.
    In the past my EOS gave up at -22 degrees C. and my M645 Pro did it till the beginning of the night at -27 degrees C. I was already afraid that the film emulsion would tear off or so and further it was already impossible to use it afterwards, because my hands were too cold already to operate with the two camera's.

Leica M serie's are nice camera's and I do not think you will find something better in RF 35 mm. But best quality has it's price. Unfortunately this is quite high for this nice piece of German craftmanship.

Robert

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Once, I had a student.

He wanted to learn something about picture making because he liked photographs and was going to become a Dad and wanted to take pictures of his child-to-be.

He learned how to expose Tri-X and develop it in D-76. He learned how to make a picture in the the window light cast of an open sky. And, he learned how to make a good, straigtforward print on fiber paper. He bought a simple camera, an inexpensive enlarger. And, when the baby was born, the little girl was photographed on the 3rd step from the bottom of the stairs to the second floor of his little home.

He made a picture of his daughter on her birthday, and made a small enlargement, matted it and framed it, and hung it in his office.

He made a picture of her again on her next birthday, and on every birthday until she became a mother herself. The, she was photographed with her little girl.

Today, he has 30 framed photographs in his office.

He makes one picture every year, in the same place, of the same person. It is developed in the same developer, printed on the same type of paper, with the same old enlarger and camera.

He has a body of work that surpasses mine by any measure, and is one of the finest photographers I have ever met.

Thirty years ago, he was my student. Today, I am his.

That is the subject of this thread.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A little joke between my girlfriend and I regarding the price of Leicas:
    If we ever decide to get married, we're planning on getting matching mint M3's instead of wedding rings. They cost about the same, but at least there is a practical use to a Leica.
    Ara
    Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by david b
    Own the next best thing....Voigtlander R2 with a 35mm lens for $399
    Same here - or at least similar: Voigtländer Bessa-L with 21mm, and a FED-2 with 50mm
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i use a m3 and lenses that belonged to my father. he bought them new and used them throughout my childhood taking family photos + slides of special occasions. i don't use it as much as i should ( probably ) but i like the idea that i am making photos with something that was handed down to me ... i guess it is a continuity thing.

oh, it takes nice pictures too

- john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why do I still use my Leicas? They still work, why stop?

David.

Shooter
    Holga
    Quote Originally Posted by gnashings
    But tell me this: I can not afford a Leica of any sort - the closest I can come is an old Leica SLR body... but no lens. Please advise me: should I just quit? Should I give up photography?
    As much of PN's Leica forum demonstrates, owning the finest camera in the world won't make your crappy snapshots and bug-zoomins into art.

And generally, the glass is more important for the image than the body. The body is just important for actually getting the image at all. That's why I like my Hexar. Summicron quality lens, 300$ price-tag.

HCB would have still be HCB, even if he was toting around a Holga.

It's the vision you can't buy.

Though I'm not sure Ansel would have been Ansel witha Holga.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jvarsoke
    ...Though I'm not sure Ansel would have been Ansel witha Holga.
    Hehehehehe

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin