Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,523   Posts: 1,543,814   Online: 788

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use it (when I want to make post-stamp size negs) out of respect, for it exists since 1959 (therefore for 8 years longer than myself) and still works fine. I don't work that fine, although I take care of myself better that I do of her (the M3).

As for advice for the ones that want to shoot on a lower budget, buy an old manual Yashica SLR... They're cheap and when you have the money, you'll be able to fit them Zeiss lenses...

Shooter
    35mm
    Just a thought DFC,
    They way I originally read your thread and viewed your very nice photo inspired me to respond about Leica's and Holgas as photographic devices and the photos they can take and the reactions of emotions they can bring. This I thought is an interesting thread and once again presents me with an opportunity to display my ignorance. So I made a couple of responses about what I thought was the topic.

Later I was instructed about what this thread really intended. With my revised understanding I conclude that this is even a more interesting topic.
    It is exrtremely worthy of discussion.

I do apologize for my misreading of the topic and making inappropriate response.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Aw Shucks, Claire.

Launching a thread is always interesting, especially using words like Leica and Holga !

But the cool thing is always taking pictures. And finding tools that work, for a purpose, for a given person.

As I'm doing less professional work and WORKING at rekindling my own interest in photography I see that my favorite PRO tools aren't my favorite personal tools.

Sometimes, old pro tools take on a second life. Like using my Mole Richardson quartz lights to help paint the house.

The pictures that I WANT to take now are usually personal, and insignificant. By that I mean they have no intentional importance or meaning to anyone but myself, and most of the time I have no IDEA why I take the picture at all. A normal lens is always just right, and often f/1.4 is handy. And when my eyes are tired, it is simply impossible to focus any SLR without making it a chore. SO, now I leave the old Leica laying around with an old lens and some kind of B&W film.

Happy as I can be.

So, why not an Holga? I guess because it has a slow lens, is kinda fussy, and it isn't meant to focus on a single detail. I'm certain it's a good camera for lots of folks to use to record the insignificant moments of thir life, but not for me.

Sometimes the dumb comfort that comes from having a small brick-like camera always ready is rewarding out of all proportion to what the photographer deserves.

Last October, I camped in a pasture, rising when the crows got rowdy, and while the stove heated water for coffee, I took morning snaps. Leaving the Leica on the table, under a cover, attached to a monopod. Here is a picture that came halfway through the first cup of coffee as I watched dumbstruck an early morning rainbow on Cape Breton Island.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have only owned one Leica (an M1 that I used on a microscope). At the moment, I really donít need a Leica to meet my photographic needs. However, I must admit that I have been suppressing a long-standing irrational desire to own an MP or an M6.

Please donít tell me that resistance is futile.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Nice double rainbow! It's hard to make them pop like that in B&W, but when the light is just right...
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think I'm going to cry. Half my gallery is made with a Holga
    I'm going out today and buying a REAL camera!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nah... just go hang out on an island for a while !

d

( your stuff is cool: love it )
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by narsuitus
    I have only owned one Leica (an M1 that I used on a microscope). At the moment, I really donít need a Leica to meet my photographic needs. However, I must admit that I have been suppressing a long-standing irrational desire to own an MP or an M6.

Please donít tell me that resistance is futile.
    Resistance is absolutely NOT futile.

But dragging a Research Microscope into the field... approaching futile.

Especially when you're trying to shoot flash and figure guide numbers with a Numerical Aperture.

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    Nice double rainbow! It's hard to make them pop like that in B&W, but when the light is just right...
    Orangey-greeny filter.

I couldn't begin to figure the exposure so I shot one at everything.

Put the camera down and drank the coffee.

Sometimes, even a blind squirrel can find a nut.

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    35mm
    My goodness gracious us! That kind of instance coffee is hard to get locally.

I am going to resist any thought of Jackie Gleason. Hopefull am I that I can avoid saying: "How sweet it is".

Gosh, I do not think I can. How sweet it is. Your very effective instance coffee came with a special sweetner.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin