Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,952   Posts: 1,557,984   Online: 1095

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Why I still use a Leica

They are old school. They are expensive. They are clunky, out of fashion, and worst of all, collectable. No cool photographer would use a Leica, because you can own 421 Holgas instead. Maybe more.

Here is why I still love my Leica: as I get old, older, and older still, I can still focus because the photographer's vision doesn't determine the focus accuracy, which outstrips an SLR or AF anything by a factor of Really Big.

Here is a film test / old lens test while waiting for Vancouver to go down in overtime Saturday night.

M camera, 50/1.5 Sonnar (circa 1945), APX 100 in Xtol, 1/15 @1.5. Just an 'at home kinda picture', focussed exactly where it was supposed to be. And another snapshot for the family book. A little thing, at best. But a nice one. And that's why I still use a Leica, for the little stuff.

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Simplicity. Tradition.

I like simple and traditional, so I still use a Leica as well. I'm using 35mm less these days but when I do, it's almost always a Leica.

Another reason is that I can carry two bodies with four lenses and 20+ rolls of film and other stuff in one small shoulder bag. As I get old, older and older still, I'm paying for those many years of daily carrying a big bag of motorized Nikons. My neck, back and left shoulder hurt. They hurt less when I carry less.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Love those photos. I'm a fairly new user of Leicas, mine's not quite as vintage, and Canadian made, (somewhat less collectible), and I'm so glad I took the plunge!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    . . . No cool photographer would use a Leica . . .
    Now you tell me! I bought a Leica a few years back because I heard they were chick magnets!

[COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to have a double stroke M3 with the 35mm f/2 Summicron with "eyes." Wish I still had it.
    I've got a Contax G1 (that's probably blasthemy on this thread) but print the negs with an old Leitz Valloy, with an Apo-Rodagon. Gotta have the enlarger, too. Dean
    dphphoto

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Shively
    Simplicity. Tradition.

I like simple and traditional, so I still use a Leica as well. I'm using 35mm less these days but when I do, it's almost always a Leica.

Another reason is that I can carry two bodies with four lenses and 20+ rolls of film and other stuff in one small shoulder bag. As I get old, older and older still, I'm paying for those many years of daily carrying a big bag of motorized Nikons. My neck, back and left shoulder hurt. They hurt less when I carry less.
    The Leica is giving me pride in my pictures again. I'm back to doing my own B&W after 25 years. The camera forces me to take the time to evaluate the light and pay more attention to composition. Even though I have 4 Nikon film and 2 digital bodies and more lenses I'll admit to plus my Hassey stuff, I've only used my Leica in the last month. I'm enjoying it immensely.

Len

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks all.
    dph: I don't think there is blasphemy if we take pictures.
    Lee: you make my shoulder's hurt. They get a little better every year.
    Suzanne: have fun with YOUR pictures.
    Ralph: I don't know if it IS a chick magnet... but I'M impressed :o
    Len: shoot, shoot,shoot

My big challenge, as a recovering professional, is taking pictures for the joy of it, again. When I was, well, younger, I always ran to develop film after the roll was done. I grew away from that, and for a long time, the 'image making' was too sophisticated to encourage being impetuous. My ultimate self - assignment is to shoot short rolls, in a simple system, and have dry, developed film 12 hours after shooting it.

Happiness.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    df, I didn't need to know why you still use a Leica. Why you do isn't really anyone's business but yours. But since you've raised the issue, what puzzles me is why you felt it necessary to justify your practice in public.

Cheers,

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    df, I didn't need to know why you still use a Leica. Why you do isn't really anyone's business but yours. But since you've raised the issue, what puzzles me is why you felt it necessary to justify your practice in public.

Cheers,

Dan
    Perhaps because it's instructive to know why people who have thought about it carefully, or are very happy with what they've chosen, have made a particular choice. Like the Contax G2 threads, or the "Nikon F? is the best camera ever made" thread this is informative for those who don't have a chance to actually handle some of the cameras you don't see every day.

The Leica marque pushes some hot buttons because of expense, the people who hoard them rather than shoot them, and because of the snotty behavior of some who own them. I could name several other brands some of whose owners fall into that last category. Both Canon and Nikon intimate in their advertizing that you're not a real photographer unless you use their equipment.

I took the initial post as a factual representation of why one might choose a Leica, with a bit of humor thrown in. It comes on the heels of remarks in other threads about why the Leicas are not worth the money (to some folks), and I interpret that as an attempt to start a neutral new thread instead of a flame war.

BTW, my father developed cataracts and had trouble with a detached retina, and the camera he chose to use was a Minolta CLE (Leica mount rangefinder) precisely because he could still focus and frame accurately with that finder, and it was compact for travel.

Lee

P.S. I've met a lot of Leica users. The collectors are often the preposterous ones. I've never met a Leica user who's pretentious, but I'm sure they're out there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm

Cheers,

Dan
    What I love about APUG is reading posts by fellow subscribers about their love of photography, be it a specific brand or genre. So nice post df, glad to read you're enjoying your Leica.

I hope to get one for my 40th birthday in two years, I've dropped enough hints for one anyway

In the meantime I'll be glad to read other users stories.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin