Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,500   Posts: 1,543,294   Online: 954

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wasn't some of Kenna's earlier work done on 35mm? Seems to me I recall the framing/cropping of some ca. '80s pictures looked more like 35mm dimensions.
    Robert Hunt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think he worked with Nikons and then moved up to Hasselblads in the 90's. Kenna has also done a bit of advertising as well.

And he has a new book coming out in January I believe. I know that photo-eye is taking orders for it. His books sell out super fast and increase in value almost immediately.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmichel
    Thanks dave, I was not aware of those photographers. I particularly like the work on Hoflehner's site.
    same here,
    I'm a Kenna fan for several years now, but I have recently purchased a copy of Josef Hoflehner's recent wall calendar 'Dreamworld 2006' and those photographs are great, maybe greater than Kenna's. IMO

got the calendar from photo-eye:
    http://www.photoeye.com/templates/mS...?Catalog=ZC637

also a new book by Hoflehner:
    http://www.photoeye.com/templates/mS...?Catalog=ZC614

"Some of these photographs are so surreal that they don't seem like they were taken in this dimension."

manalishi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jeez... Nikons, Hasselblads... I know all you guys know better (and I am a gear head myself - so I am always curious what camera was used, etc)), but if someone didn't know... given the title of the thread, and the repeated "he used brand X" comments, you would think IT(the gear) made the images!

The real reason for my post: where on the web site does it actually go into techniques? I would like to know... but can't find it.

Gim

I believe most of the equipment information comes out of his interviews. If you like Kenna (I do) they are an interesting look into his "style".
    Jim

Shooter
    35mm
    Josef Hoflehner's photographs have pretty unusual names.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Dawley
    Josef Hoflehner's photographs have pretty unusual names.
    yes very creative titles, but like them.... think different. "Race with the Devil"

http://www.josefhoflehner.com/portfo...e/2005_04.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Whow I am impressed also amazed how David Fokos gets such soft images and still gets good contrast and tonality. Are there any wierd techniques in his printing? http://www.robertkleingallery.com/gallery/fokos Thanks for the link BTW some great stuff I didn't know off.

cheers!
    Quinten

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinten
    Whow I am impressed also amazed how David Fokos gets such soft images and still gets good contrast and tonality. Are there any wierd techniques in his printing? http://www.robertkleingallery.com/gallery/fokos Thanks for the link BTW some great stuff I didn't know off.

cheers!
    Quinten

I know David somewhat and from what I know of his workflow the image starts its life as an 8x10 neg that is scanned into a computer with a pretty highend scanner and he then goes over the file sometimes one pixel at al time. He adds and subtracts to the image as he feels necessary. Last I heard he then takes the file to a service bureau and has them output from a Lightjet style machine. The images are in the neighborhood of 36 inches square. He may have switched to an Epson 9500 I just can't remember though. When he shoots the water stuff he likes to use very dark neutral density filters so the water smoothes out like you see in the gallery you pointed to here.

lee\c
    Last edited by lee; 11-09-2005 at 08:36 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add info

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Josef Hoflehner's photographs are named after heavy metal songs from Iron Maiden and Judas Priest.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin