Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,554   Online: 1059

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Suddenly I'm a Nikon guy...

This is kind of neat: I've always been (and still will be) a diehard Olympus OM user, as far as 35mm equipment goes. However, yesterday my mom came to visit and brought me a present. She said that, since she likes her digithing so much, she didn't need her 35mm stuff anymore. She said that since I'm such a "film nut" I could have her cameras. She then handed me a fairly good-sized bulging camera bag. Inside I found 2 Nikon EM bodies, half a dozen Nikor lenses, 2 Nikon flash units and miscellaneous filters and other accoutrements. Everything is in excellent shape, I just need to redo the light seals on the bodies and buy new batteries for everything. I still love all my Olympus gear, but this is going to be fun! Anyone know anything about the EM's?

Bruce

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When the EM first came out, as a lower cost consumer body among rising prices for the other bodies, it caught flack for not being a real Nikon from some people. (I can hear the Monty Python guys, "It's a man's life in the Nikon army!") I remember a few with some electronics problems early on, but as far as I recall, that got cleared up. The E series lenses were also not as well built as the standard line, but at least some versions had reputations as real "sleepers", good optical quality and value for money if you didn't hammer and slam them around like a photojournalist.

Have fun with them, and don't let anyone tell you they don't hold film at the right distance behind some good lenses. If the electronics have lasted until now, you're probably not in great danger of sudden failure.

If you offered both, I'd take your Oly gear over the Nikon, but that's purely a personal preference.

Lee

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Congrats! I been a nikon dude since I started and love em!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L
    If you offered both, I'd take your Oly gear over the Nikon, but that's purely a personal preference.

Lee
    That's my opinion as well, but I'm still going to have fun playing with them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The EM was a late-1970's product targeted for the entry-level shapshooter market - the folks who wanted more than 35mm point-and-shoot rangefinder and who were willing to deal with 35mm film cassettes, but who weren't prepared to pay the big bucks for serious SLR equipment. It was accompanied by the inexpensive series E line of Nikkor lenses - Nikon glass in plastic bodies and by a special 2 fps motor drive accessory, the MD-E. It had aperture-priority exposure automation with an electronically-controlled shutter, with one mechanical speed (1/90 second), but did not have interchangeable viewing screens. It was slightly smaller, and ligher in weight, than the other Nikons of the time.

I have a 100mm series E lens that I picked up at a flea market for $50 - and that is about the best $50 investment I have ever made. It's sharp, fast, and quite compact - a great portrait lens, and reasonably decent macro when coupled with either extension tubes or a bellows.

My sense is that the EM body was not as rugged as other Nikons of the time. That could be a problem today since I suspect that parts are no longer available. I don't know for sure what battery it used, but both the FM-2 and FE-2 of the same period used either alkalines or lithium batteries - so I suspect that you won't encounter the dreaded mercury battery problem that is common with older cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You won't have any trouble with batteries for the bodies (3V lithium or two 1.5V lithium batteries), but you'll almost certainly find the cameras limiting. Your only two choices are aperture priority or 1/90 of a second for manual. The body was a step up from point-and-shoot bodies, but a very small step. It was Nikons attempt to attract people who were used to the simplicity of non-interchangeable lens cameras into an SLR system, and is extremely limited in functionality.

Having said that, the Nikon Series E lenses were very nice lenses. They were heavily derided in the day because they used plastic barrels instead of the tank-like metal of the standard Nikkor lenses, but if you compare the Series E lenses with the autofocus lenses of today you'll find that they are much more rugged than almost everything that's considered perfectly acceptable these days. The optics in the lenses were first rate, although the coatings weren't quite as sophisticated as Nikkor lenses. Just use lens shades and you'll find that the lenses are capable of images as good as any Nikkor lens.

The Series E 50mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, and 70-210mm lenses are all recognized as excellent performers and many of them were re-created in later Nikkor lenses with the same optical formulas. The 28mm, 35mm, and 36-72mm lenses are good, but perhaps not quite as good as the other lenses in the series. (The formula for the 28mm lens, though, was used as the basis for the original AF 28mm Nikkor lens.) None of the lenses were dogs, and they've all held up extremely well over time (despite the warnings of doom-sayers at the time who assured us that plastic lenses would self-destruct in short order).

I'd say you probably have a nice collection of lenses, and you could probably find a nice Nikon FG body to compliment them if you want a body with more capabilities. The EM is a bit limited for an experienced photographer, but the FG offers just about anything you'd want in a nice, small body. (Small for a Nikon, anyway.) Personally I'm fond of the Nikon FE-2, but it's definately a step up in both cost and physical size...if you're not going to shoot Nikon as your primary system the investment might not be worth it. But don't judge the Nikon system on the basis of the EM bodies...the EM's are fine as sophisticated point-and-shoots, but much too limiting if you're a regular 35mm shooter.

Congratulations on the nice gift.

Be well.
    Dave
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mongo: I agree the FE2 was a great camera.
    I saved a lot to buy one used in 1993, and when I took the trip of a lifetime (From Iquitos to Manaus to Belem via the Amazon) it was stolen and I was left high and dry... not even 1 picture!
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by titrisol
    I saved a lot to buy one used in 1993, and when I took the trip of a lifetime (From Iquitos to Manaus to Belem via the Amazon) it was stolen and I was left high and dry... not even 1 picture!
    NOW I UNDERSTAND THAT DANTE REFERENCE!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by titrisol
    Ouch! That must have hurt. I've been fortunate...I bought my FE-2 the month after they were released and I've still got it (and it still runs like a fine watch)...but having equipment stolen on vacation has got to be painful. You definately have my sympathies.

Be well.
    Dave
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I guess what hurts the most is that i don't have a single pciture from the most incredible trip of my life!

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo
    Ouch! That must have hurt. I've been fortunate...I bought my FE-2 the month after they were released and I've still got it (and it still runs like a fine watch)...but having equipment stolen on vacation has got to be painful. You definately have my sympathies.

Be well.
    Dave
    Mama took my APX away.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin