Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,858   Online: 922

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

What's the worth of a Canon F1 old body?

I'm thinking of selling my loved Canon F1 old body, with a 50mm, 1.4 lens (has both caps, excellent condition) and a 28mm, 2.8 lens (has both caps, excellent condition).

The body has one problem, the prism is missing the buttons that you press to remove it. Otherwise, it is in great condition (and the battery works!).

I was wondering if anybody had an idea of worth. I'm hoping to sell it and put the $$ towards a camera of larger format. But if I'm not going to get much for it, I might as well keep it.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Old F1 with prism issues, 50/1.4 and 28/2.8 together are probably around $300 or so, I'd guess.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Esentually in this day in age, it is going to be worth, what you can get for it, A friend of mine just paid about $500 for one with prisim and waist level type finder and the 50mm, but I have also seen them go for alot less on ebay, and unfortunately in this day and age, if your not paying attention to ebay, your not up to date on what the market is doing.

Good luck.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ksiti
    I'm thinking of selling my loved Canon F1 old body, with a 50mm, 1.4 lens (has both caps, excellent condition) and a 28mm, 2.8 lens (has both caps, excellent condition).
    The old F1 bodies (no hot shoe, etc) seem to be going for not that much of late - even in good shape, they hardly seem to get past the $150 mark, with the F1n's being more and the NewF1's usually more still. Some collectible F1's (odd serial numbers, olive drab models, ones in original boxes) still seem to bring top dollar, but I assume those are mainly bought by collectors who put a premium on absolute mint condition, boxes, instructions, etc.
    Of course, that is just what I witnessed on eBay. However, if the camera is in excellent working shape, then it would be "worth" a lot more to you than the price it would fetch.

Coincidentally, if you would be willing to part with the lenses alone, please shoot me a PM with how much you would want for those.

Best of luck,

Peter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Would agree with Peter, just from ebay auctions I have seen lately. Heck, the New F1's are going for a lot less than I ever thought they would. The lens may be worth as much as the camera IMO. Good luck and check the complete auctions over on ebay to get an idea of prices.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thank you everyone. I think I'll hold on to it for a little while longer. It's probably worth more to me than what I'll get for it. I think I'll wait until I'm really not using it anymore.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I love my New-F1. I'd never think of selling it, even if I stopped using it. Some day, if it breaks irrepairably or if I am no longer able to use it, I'll retire it to the shelf where it'll sit and fill the room with its sexy, muscular, pro-camera vibes. My EOS 3 evokes no similar feeling in me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the bottom line is that right now, its really hard to financially justify parting with an old film camera - its worth a lot more than it can command on the market and likely cannot be so much as approached for quality by whatever you can buy for the money you get for it. Unless its a case of a camera you truly hate, or perhaps starving (although that one is questionable), very little to be gained by selling.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin