Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,671   Posts: 1,481,812   Online: 1179

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Nikon lens question

I want to buy a good used 24mm lens for a Christmas present for a friend who has a Nikon F2. Perusing eBay there seem to be many types, D, Ai, F, etc. Could someone tell me what type of lens I need for the F2 - and perhaps what would be a reasonable price to pay? Thank you!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I can't tell you the prices, but a D or G lens won't work. The F2 had an external connector between the lens and the viewfinder. You need an Ai type lens. Check out this page to learn more about Nikon lens types: http://www.nikonlinks.com/unklbil/nomenclature.htm
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David, the list of Nikkor lens I have says that their fastest 24mm lens was from 08/77 to 11/82 manufacture. it's a 24 F2.0 with 52 mm filter ring Lens hood HK-2. It has CRC which I think means shifting elements. Serial No.s 176021- weighs 305gms

Then there is the 24 f2.8 manufactured from 01/75-03/77 52mm filter ring hood HN-1 it also has CRC weighs 280gms.

Then there is the 24mm f2.0 Ai-S (Automatic indexing) don't know what the S stands for ser No. 200001- manufactured 10/81- 52 filter ring weighs 305gms it also has CRC. HN-1 hood

Then there is the 24mm f2.8 Ai-S ser No. 700001- manufactured 08/81- 52mm filter ring has CRC weighs 250gms HN-1 hood

The rest are all Auto focus jobs.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    I can't tell you the prices, but a D or G lens won't work. The F2 had an external connector between the lens and the viewfinder. You need an Ai type lens. Check out this page to learn more about Nikon lens types: http://www.nikonlinks.com/unklbil/nomenclature.htm
    D-lenses are just Ai-lenses withe a chip so they should work. The G-lenses does not have an apperture ring so they wont work. I think the S on AIS-lenses says something like Shutterpriority. They were made for the Nikon FA.
    See more here http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/entry.htm
    Regards Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeren
    D-lenses are just Ai-lenses withe a chip
    What??? Weren't D lenses non-AI lenses with Deca (ten) elements?
    I know a chap who does excellent portraits. The chap is a camera.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco Gilardetti
    What??? Weren't D lenses non-AI lenses with Deca (ten) elements?
    You d*#"^* whistleblower
    Regards Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thank you all for the help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan
    weighs 305gms

weighs 280gms.

305gms it also has CRC. HN-1 hood
    250gms HN-1 hood

Mick.
    You weigh your lenses?!! :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A few years ago, for my F2, I picked up a Nikon 24mm f/2 AI in excellent condition on eBay for $295. You should be able to find one for a lot less.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Whoa there! Depending on which model F2 he has, different lenses may fit.

This is an abbreviated description, but basically AI lenses index to the meter via a cutout in the rear mount of the lens. Pre-AI lenses use that little rabbit ear tab sticking out from the aperture ring. Most AI lenses also have the tab to allow them to be used on pre-AI cameras. A better description than I gave is at http://www.aiconversions.com/compatibilitytable.htm

Now, depending on the prism on his F2, he may or may not need the AI lens. If he has an earlier prism, such as the DP-1, an AI lens will work, but is not required. If he has a later prism, such as the DP-11, then an AI lens is necessary to allow metering with fully opened aperture.

When Nikon first came out with the AI lenses, they offered a conversion service that replace the rear section of the lens. Others, such as John White (the www.aiconversions.com site), would mill the existing ring and (at least in the one he did for me many years ago) add a sticker to allow the prism to show the aperture.

There is no harm in getting an AI lens for his F2, but be aware that non-AI lenses typically sell for a lot less than the same lens does if AI.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin