Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,541   Online: 928

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I personally prefer chrome to black bodies. Not only does chrome wear better than black paint, chrome reflects heat along with light. I never understood Canon's philosophy of painting their L-series telephotos a light grey to reflect heat and then only offering their top cameras in black. Ever been out in the sun for a couple of hours with your Canon EOS and L-series telephoto on a tripod? The lens will be relatively cool while the camera will burn you to the touch.

These days, black camera bodies dominate. So does plastic. Taking an inventory of all my cameras, I only have one that's real chrome--a Leica M6. The EOS Rebel doesn't count, being fake-chrome plastic.

Shooter
    35mm
    From what I hear the black cameras were black so as to minimise any reflections from the flash bouncing off the camera & reflecting in the subjects eyes. Also black was less obtrusive in use as it didn't shine as much. Ironically the black bodiesmade of brass are usually not as strong as the chromed bodies (they dent more easily). I believe that black cameras took off because Cartier Bresson used to use black tape on his Leica's.

Shooter
    35mm
    It's common knowledge that black bodies produce sharper images with better Bokeh.

Kiron Kid

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Lawton
    Yes, I was being sarcastic. My apologies
    I'm so glad the bokeh thing was a joke. "Bokeh boys" HA that's hilarious.
    Please, dont ever apologize for being sarcastic! Come on now, my name is Surly and my avatar is a black and white painting! I live for sarcasm.
    To believe your own thought, to believe that what is true for you in your private heart is true for all men, — that is genius.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Here is my take on the situation.

Black= black and white

Chrome= slides

Eric
    Dad, is the lens cap suppose to be on?.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RichSBV
    Speaking from the early days, there was a reason why professional cameras were black and consumer cameras were silver. The pro cameras were brass bodies. This didn't loook good, so they were painted. Black was the obvious choice.
    Don't think so. It is easy to put a chrome plating on brass but it is *much* harder to put a durable black coating on brass which comes close in durability (well used black Leica M3 and an MP are worn to the brass today in most cases with only little coating left). Aluminium can be anodized black without any problem which keeps very well.

Therefore, following your line of argument, amateur cameras would have been black and pro cameras chrome.

Best

Stefan

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin