Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,010   Posts: 1,524,632   Online: 984

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like my OM2n's for carry-around cameras because I find that I frequently want the aperture priority mode more than the mirror lock up under those "walking-around" circumstances. When I'm shooting more thoughtfully and using the tripod I almost always go for the OM-1's and use the mirror lock up. This (in combination with good Zuiko glass) is capable of producing negatives (or slides) of amazing sharpness and quality. I've seen 20x24 inch prints from 35mm negatives made using this combination that knocked my socks off. Sure there was some grain, but isn't that supposed to be there?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ricoh XR-X [I think that's the non US name either that or XR-M same camera different label]

Takes K mount Pentax lenses. All the features a person could want and more. Can be very cheap used.

Not tiny but not huge either. No mirror lockup. Uses AA batteries so easy to feed.

Spotmeter plus average mode. TTL flash if you want. Flash sync is only 1/100. motorwinder.

Usually sell for between $30 and $50 including a lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just having a look around ebay. It looks as though film camera prices have dropped across the board. How does the OM1 compare to a Nikon FM? As you may have seen from my initial question I used to own a lot of Nikon gear and the price of the FM looks to have fallen too.

Images
    Good Morning, Lee,

Another vote for the OM system. In reality, results from almost any of the high-quality manual 35mm SLR's of twenty or twenty-five years ago will probably be indistinguishable from each other, but the OM's are compact, well-made, and very easy to like.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A nikon F3 is almost free, and mint AI lenses plentiful and cheap. Nothing better.

AND still the standard, which makes it easy to repair.

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

How about AF?

Well, while you're getting a 35mm system - why not get AF as well - that way you will have something that has a different sort of use from your MF gear and not just in terms of size. I'd say an N90s or maybe even an F4 would be nice with a 50/1.8 AF to start with. Although I use my N90s only with manual lenses, but that's just because 35mm is still my primary system.

But whatever you get, I'd say it needs to be complemented with a lightweight 35mm rangefinder. The Olympus ones are great the RC is light and manual but the XA, even though it's A-priority only, can't be beat for compactness!

-A

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh yeah, beside my OM-1 I usually have my Canon Canonet QL17 GIII.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

F3 - I want one!

Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    A nikon F3 is almost free.
    Anyone giving me a Nikon F3 for (almost) free will be greatly appreciated!

Seriously, I have been eyeing an F3 to use with the 6x finder for macro photography - I just can't justify yet another body right now but I would agree it's one good camera.

-A

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've owned a F90X and an F3 HP. The F3 is the camera I really regret selling but in hindsight when I sold this equipment I got a really good price compared to todays prices. I primarily used the F90X for motorsports photography and if I'd stayed in that field I would have upgraded to either an F5 or a digital SLR. The one thing I liked about the F3 is that I picked up some lovely cheap AI and AIS primes as well as being able to use the D type Nikon lenses.
    My photography has moved more and more towards b&w and for static subjects (6 & 4 year old girls can never be described as static!) I use my Rolleicord Vb and 'flex 2.8C. I really enjoy the ergonomics of a TLR which is why I eventually sold my 500CM. The problem is that a grab shot is quite difficult, though not impossible, as I have to get the meter out etc. In addition my wife is now showing an interest in photography to complement her painting so I'm looking for a system whereby I can get a couple of bodies for both our use.
    I must admit that I still have an attachment to the Nikon system but economics plays a part as we've recently bought a new house that requires extensive renovation.
    What sort of prices are used SLRs going for at places like Jessops? I've bought and sold a lot of equipment on Ebay but sometimes the bargains can still be found in shops.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just to offer an alternate take on it - probably the way to get the most for the least in the 35mm SLR market: Canon FD bodies and lenses. If someone called Nikon lenses inexpensive, then these are down right dirt cheap (they do not fit any digigizmos due to Canon's mount change). My suggestion would be the hidden gem of the range, the Canon EF (not to be confused with the EF-M or the EF mount system). This rugged camera is built on a F1 chassis, has a Copal vertical travel shutter (x synch up to 1/125th), mirror lock up, large bright viewfinder, shutter speeds from 1/1000th to 30 seconds (mechanical up to 1 second - so you are not battery dependant). Great camera, usually comes with the wonderful 50mm f1.4SSC lens and seems to have been long overlooked on the market.
    Then you can get a Canonet QL17 GIII to round out the package

Peter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin