Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,917   Posts: 1,556,416   Online: 1154

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Missing a 35mm. But with prices so low which one?

I sold all of my 35mm kit around 3 years ago, which consisted of various Nikon bodies (F3, F90X, F) and lenses. I moved onto medium format with a Hasselblad and now have a variety of TLRs.

The other day I was looking through some negs when I realised that I had loads of photos of my eldest daughter but very few of my youngest, and in fact very few of both of them over the past three years. It started me thinking (a rare event as it usually costs me money and I have to lie down afterwards). There was always a 35mm camera somewhere within reach and loaded with film. I realise that I've missed using a 35mm for spontaneous shots and it's time to get another. Plus I still have around 200+ rolls of HP5 in the freezer.

To my great delight I've noticed that film camera prices have fallen through the floor. But what system? I've been eyeing up the Olympus OM and the Pentax K mount systems. Body requirements - manual focus, built in meter, light, reliable. Lens requirements - 50mm, 28mm, 90/120mm and a macro.

I could go with Nikon but the prices are still quite high so I've plumped for a discontinued system. What suggestions do you guys have. I don't have time to get to any camera shops plus there aren't any in the vicinity.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Olympus Om-1n MD. Fully manual, mirror lock up, light, small, system has all the lenses you could want.
    If you want to go even cheaper look up a Praktica BX20.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree on the OM series. Small,light, reliable and wonderful glass.

David.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Andy, funny you should say that. I've got my eye on ebay at the moment. I read that you got your OM off Ebay. What are your opinions of the OM1 as I must admit it looks like the type of camera I'm after.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You definitely do not want an OM system. At least until I finish building my kit. I don't need any more competition.

Wayne

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lee, it is now my 'carry everywhere' camera. I love it's simplicity and the fact that ALL controls (aperture, shutter speed, focus) except film speed are around the lens, it makes it a very easy to use camera. The metering is by match needle in the viewfinder, also very simple. Many of the photographs in my gallery were taken with it.
    If I lost my OM-1 then I'd probably replace it with a Nikon FM3A. I like all manual cameras, can't stand battery dependence.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think you need a rangefinder. An olympus or canon. a pocket camera. Of course this is in addition to the slr not instead of one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Andy. What are the different designations of OM-1. e.g. OM-1n OM-1n MD etc. and are there major differences in functionality?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Roach
    I think you need a rangefinder. An olympus or canon. a pocket camera. Of course this is in addition to the slr not instead of one.
    I use a little original Olympus Trip 35 and I'm also looking at an 35RC and SP. Of course this will be in addition to the slr depending on if "She who must be obeyed" finds out. I mean she couldn't believe how cheap my Rollei 2.8C was. No she just didn't believe it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leeturner
    Thanks Andy. What are the different designations of OM-1. e.g. OM-1n OM-1n MD etc. and are there major differences in functionality?
    I have two Oms. An om-10 and an OM-1n MD. The OM-10 is a cheap consumer model with AE only unless you buy the accessory manual adapter.
    The OM-1n MD is a pro camera. MD stands for Motor Drive, which means it has the fittings on the bottom plate to accept the Olympus motor Drive. I think (though I'm not sure) the 'n' designates it as a later model. The first ever model was the Olympus M-1, but Leica kicked up a fuss about the M designation so Olympus changed it to OM.
    If looking for an OM-1 make sure it has the removable motor drive cap still in place, these are very difficult to find if they are missing (see attached scan, the cap on the farleft is the battery compartment, to the right of it is the motor drive cap). Likewise make sure it has the hotshoe. On the OM-1 this is removable and again are quite often missing. I almost never have mine on the camera because I prefer shooting with available light, but I do have it in a safe place.
    The OM-1's only weak point is it requires a no longer available PX625 mercury battery for the meter. You can get round this with either a Wein cell or an MR9 voltage reducing adapter so it'll take easily available SR44 hearing aid batteries.

[size=1]Ps. That isn't a huge ding in the baseplate! The scanner made a bright spot look like the Grand Canyon![/size]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin