Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,964   Posts: 1,632,447   Online: 1070

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have quite a collection of Contax cameras (RTS II and III, RX, AX, S2, N), and I love them all.

i also have a large number of Nikon equipment (F4 and F5), but I find myself using it less and less in favour of the Contax stuff.

My favourite Contax? hard to say, but probably the RTS III...

Ansgar

Shooter
    35mm
    The 139Q is one of the most reliable bodies in the Contax line. Fewer bells & whistles, therefore less to go wrong. If you are happy with this camera and only find it is a little small for your hands, the easy and least expensive solution is to buy an autowinder for the 139Q. They are not too difficult to find (e-bay). This will give you more to hold on to, a bit more weight, and an extra release button for portrait orientation shots.

Mike
    [FONT=Arial]"I wouldn't have seen it if I hadn't believed it." Louis Pasteur (paraphrased)[/FONT]

Shooter
    35mm
    The Contax RX is a well balanced camera weighing about 29 ounces. It is sleeker and less weighty than the AX and bigger than the ST. I'm an average sized guy and I find that the RX fits in my hand perfectly. I also own the S2, Aria and 139Q and have no problems handling them. By the way, The S2, Aria and RX can be repaired by TOCAD for the next few years. My S2's film advance went kaput and I had to send it out for repairs to TOCAD via a local camera store. After 2 and a half months I got the camera back sans batteries. It cost around $240.00 to repair and the job was a very shoddy one. The film advance lever doesn't snap all the way back. I just pray that the RX or Aria never break down. By the way, the more I use the 139Q the more I love it. And it looks sooo funky.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for all the replys. I guess I will stick with my 139 and get some backup bodies on ebay, easy to do since they usually go for less than 100$

Images
    Mike makes an excellent suggestion. I used to have a 159. It was uncomfortably small in my hands but with a winder attached, it had the extra size, shape and grip that made it a joy to use.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I bought an RTS and 50/1.4 last year (year before?) for $150. Heavy but solid as can be.

The shutter speeds on the left is weird but I got over it.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use two AXs and those very excellent lenses. Shooting a non Autofocus lens in autofocus mode and turning a regular lens into a macro are very interesting features for the AX body. I have some other Contax bodies but two AXs are my favorite.

By the way I like heavy camera bodies/lenses.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have never handled a 139 but have used the 167MT, 137MA & MD & the RTS (original model). All these are large and heavy, mainly because they have a lot of metal in them and with the exception of the RTS have built in motors. I love the 167 & 137 models but as I am getting older I do find that if carrying around one of these all day, the weight does become rather noticeable and a bit tiresome in truth. I believe the Aria is lighter, probably the lightest of all the late Contax SLR models.

Shooter
    35mm
    The Aria is the lightest of the more recent Contax models weighing in at 16oz. However, the 139Q also weighs in at 16oz. It is lighter than the RTS, 167 or 137ma/md or any other Contax slr save the Aria.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin