Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,456   Posts: 1,570,577   Online: 935

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Contax slr bodies, handling differences

I have been using a 139q and I am pretty happy with it, but it is a little bit small for my hands. Since I live in the middle of nowhere it is hard for me to handle the bodies. I would like to hear from others that have used srt and 167mt. I am particularily intersted in the srt11 system.

Images
    I've never heard of a Contax srt11. Do you mean the RTS II?
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yeah, i have some old minolta junk sitting around. I meant RTS....

Shooter
    35mm
    The only Contax camera that I have used is the RTSIII. It is a heavy and big camera for a 35mm. I use one with regularity. It may be too big for what feels right in your hands. I wear size nine gloves and the camera feels good in my hands. Although almost all of my photos are taken with the camera on a tripod.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Images
    I use an RTS II. It is big but only because it has the motor and batteries on it. It is a beautiful camera, a product of the Porsche Design Group, although the controls are a little strangely laid out from other SLRs they fall naturally under your fingers. As far as I'm concerned, they could have just stopped designing new 35mm SLRs after that. It has everything that I want in a camera and nothing that I don't want. Of course, that is somewhat a matter of personal taste. The only thing I might add is interchangable viewfinders. The big problem for them is that they haven't been made for some time and with Kyocerra dumping Contax, things ain't gonna get better as far as keeping them running .

The 167 is a more modern design, all plastic and LCDs. Ick. I dont want a 35mm camera without a thumb advance lever on it or that turns into a doorstop when the batteries die.

You already know that the Zeiss glass is wicked. I'll use that on any body that will mount it. Even Yashicas
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Aria is excellent.

The whole batteries / no batteries thing is kind of passe, isn't it ?

How often do you lose a camera because you don't have batteries ?

How often can you find somebody who actually knows how to repair a mechanical camera ?

Especially ANY KYOCERA Contax ?
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    The Aria is excellent.

How often can you find somebody who actually knows how to repair a mechanical camera ?

Especially ANY KYOCERA Contax ?
    I gotta agree with df on this one. I have the Aria and it is wonderful to work with, and I have the AX which sits in cabinet waiting for me to figure out who can repair it...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Did you try kyocera? I bought 139 parts from them a few years ago. I think they offered a "service to spec" deal of some sort. Of course that might be gone now...

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce (Camclicker)
    I gotta agree with df on this one. I have the Aria and it is wonderful to work with, and I have the AX which sits in cabinet waiting for me to figure out who can repair it...

Images
    As I said it its just a matter of personal taste. Some are saying the same about film

Never. All of my battery sucking, auto-everything bodies are long dead. Only my ancient mechanical Nikon, Leica and my Contax S2 still operate with absolute dependability. I decided, "Why carry a mechanical as a backup for when your expensive electro-gizmo fails? Save the weight and just carry the mechanical. No one will know when they see the photographs."

I'm betting long after discontinued proprietary chips and ribbon circuits for specific cameras become impossible to locate.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a 167MT which I use for aerial work. It is very well designed for that, being light, self loading and unloading and having a fast built in winder with a very useful auto bracketing feature and good metering. It has less mirror shock than any SLR I have ever used and wonderful glass. However, it is also noisy and I find I don't use it at all on the ground.

David.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin