Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,806   Posts: 1,581,394   Online: 1087

Shooter
    Multi Format

Light leak on my Minolta XD-7/11!

Hello friends,

After developing films from my last travel to Norway (Ole probably could recognize the places where these pictures were made :-)) I, for my real disappointment, have found that 2/3 of shots were damaged by light (see picture with several examples). Seems it's light leak, but from where? I very attentively examined the back cover and couldn't find the places where back cover could let pass the light.
    Maybe someone had already faced with this problem and could advice how to solve it? Any suggestions welcomed!
    Thank you.

Evgeny.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MinoltaXD-711.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Evgeny,

These are very, very typical light leaks - actually, I think 99% of 35mm SLR light leaks look like that - and they are due to light leaking around the camera back/door. You say they only appear in about 2.3 of your shots - again, very typical: they only appear when the light is a) strong enough and b) hits the camera at the right angle. Mostly, I would concern myself with the hinge area next to the take-up spool (but honestly, why bother when replacing all of it is so simple!). I can assure you, I have personally had light leaks that had no apparent cause after a visual inspection of camera, yet went away with a change of foam - also, you will really notice various permanently compressed sections, sections that are eroded in out-of-sight areas, etc, during the removal of the old foam. I don't have much money, but I would bet most of it on the fact that these will be completely cured with some careful application of new foam. Get the interslice kit, set aside an hour or so, and say good-bye to these forever.

Very nice shots, too!

Peter.

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Almost every SLR will eventually have this problem. I recently sent my 30 year old Nikkormat to KEH who replaced all the seals. Not an option on the other side of the Iron Curtain because of shipping. But the same can be done easily with the Interslice kit recommended above by gnashings.
    -Bob
    [SIZE=1]I want everything Galli has![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]I want to make images like Gandolfi![/SIZE]
    rlazell@optonline.net

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin