Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,523,984   Online: 845

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Satinsnow
    In the above reference to Bob Monaghans site he notes that Vivitar was "many manufacturers". They were a marketing co. not a maker.
    He also note that you couuld buy the same lens with different mfrs. names on them and have the identical lens.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, he does John, there are also many referances to Vivitar actually manufacturing their own lenses as well..

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    Yes, he does John, there are also many referances to Vivitar actually manufacturing their own lenses as well..

Dave
    Oh, Dave.

We were both around when Ponder & Best were selling Vivitar brand lenses, Allied Impex Corp was selling Soligor brand lenses, and no one had heard of Ritz Camera. I'm sure we both read the same stores in MP and PP about how Ponder & Best, later renamed Vivitar Corp., hired the best lens designers they could and then farmed out manufacturing to a variety of firms, mainly in Japan but including Perkin-Elmer in CT.

I think my memory's going -- I have a sense that I used to know things I don't know now, but how to test it? Could you be forgetting too? I hope not.

Cheers,

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dan,

Not a point of contention with me at all, really when it comes down to it, I don't care one way or another, but I do know for a fact that vivitar has manufactured their own lenses, but as with anything else in photography, if one person says something, someone is always going to have a counter offer to that statement, but again, I don't care one way or another.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    dfcardwell hit the nail on the head. The glass was wonderful but the aluminum mounts did not last long. I had several of them over the years to fill in focal length gaps in my Nikon lenses. They were cheap, did the job but could not stand up to a daily use grind. My opinion. Charlie...........

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow

Dave
    Vivitar has never manufactured their own lenses. They do however, design them. If you really want me to, I'll post a short history on them....

However, many of the older Viv S-1 lenses, equalled or exceeded the OEM lenses of their day, and are still very good optically.

Kiron Kid
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kiron Lenses sticker.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've got an old Quantaray 135/2.8 in my desk at work that I use for new employee pictures for our newsletters, etc. This came with some odds and ends that I had to accept to buy a package of things from eBay many years back.. The lens is absolutely amazing. I'm sure it's a fluke but its color and clarity are first rate. Back in the 70's, I had a Quantaray 24/2.8 that also was very good and I was recently looking at some old Kodachromes that reminded me of the solid performance of that old glass. Vivitar stuff is certainly a mixed bag and I'm sure the Quantarays are chancy, too. The 2 I've used were excellent but considering the market they were aimed at, I wouldn't expect too much but you might be pleasantly surprised as I was in my limited sampling. Many years back, a friend had a Series 1 80-210 that surprised me with its results and the one that I bought wasn't nearly as good and was quickly sold. The only good thing about the lens is that it kept me sworn off zooms for a number of years after that! I've currently got a 35-85 Series 1 that I had read some good things about but frankly, my example is nothing very special optically and I can't recall the last time it was even on a camera.
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    Holga
    Quantaray makes junk lenses. When I worked in camera repair I saw lots of two year old zoom lenses that played like a slinky. Not sure what you want for optics, but the bokeh on these things is dreadful.

Vivitar is a hold-your-nose bit better.

I'd see if you can fit a Tamron into your price-range.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jvarsoke

I beg to differ. I own and use, many of the older "non"-Cosina made Vivitar Series 1 lenses. They are well made, and perform as well as most OEM glass.

Kiron Kid
    Last edited by Kiron Kid; 10-07-2008 at 08:23 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jvarsoke
    Like everyone else, the old Vivitar had several levels of lenses. The older S1 lenses (NOT the current lenses) were designed to compete with the better OEM lenses and did. Today, Vivitar seems to be producing average consumer lenses at average consumer prices.

The 70-150 seemed to be a love-hate lens. Way back when, Modern Photo gave it a good review and I have a friend who has one and loves it, but he gets great, sharp results. The one sample I tried was terrible and I couldn't get sharp results no matter what I tried.

BTW, you might want to check out http://medfmt.8k.com/third/index.html for more third-party lens info and discussions. The Cult Classic and Third Party Mfgrs are particularly interesting.
    JeffW.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin