Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,555   Posts: 1,545,015   Online: 719

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Holga
    Yes, I was refering to the Vivitar lenses on the shelf today, not the series 1 lenses. The S1 lenses do have a solid reputation, though I wouldn't choose them over an OEM lens in most cases.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Elox

The 70-150 seemed to be a love-hate lens. Way back when, Modern Photo gave it a good review and I have a friend who has one and loves it, but he gets great, sharp results. The one sample I tried was terrible and I couldn't get sharp results no matter what I tried.

The Vivitar 70-150, was made by Kiron (Kino Precision Industries) and is usually very good. Kiron also made the Nikon E series 75-150, for Nikon, and it is highly coveted by Nikonians. I once did a side by side shoot with the Nikon E 75-150 version, and the Kiron 70-150 version, and the results were identical. Plus, the Kiron version doesn't get the horrendous zoom creep that the Nikon is known for.

Kiron Kid

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When my son became interested in photography I purchased a Vivitar 70-150 for $10 from an "as is" box at the camera store after running a short test roll through it. It was in very good condition and the glass was perfect. I recalled its reputation, and having sold a number of them. Contrast isn't terribly high, but overall performance is most certainly serviceable. About 6 months later my son found a 135 f:2.8 MC Rokkor in mint condition for $40 and fell in love with that, so the 70-150 hasn't seen much service lately.

Lee

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L
    When my son became interested in photography I purchased a Vivitar 70-150 for $10 from an "as is" box at the camera store after running a short test roll through it. It was in very good condition and the glass was perfect. I recalled its reputation, and having sold a number of them. Contrast isn't terribly high, but overall performance is most certainly serviceable.
    Lee
    Lee

If you come across a "Kiron" branded version, grab it. You'll be pleasantly surprised at how good it is. The attached snap was made with my Kiron version of the 70-150, on Neopan 400CN film (chromogenic C-41 process).
    Last edited by Kiron Kid; 10-07-2008 at 08:23 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks everyone for all the information. I agree with Lee on the Rokkor glass. I shot hundreds of actor heashots with a 135mm Rokkor X 2.8. I did the 3/4 shots with a Rokkor X 55mm 1.2, with excellent (sharp) results. I like the all-manual SRT-102 I used these lenses with. Side by side, the OM-2 is about half the size/weight of the SRT-102!

But....The OM-2 was my first SLR (circa 1977) which was stolen in San Diego when it was only about a year old. Now, thanks to the auction site I've purchased not one OM-2, but TWO! One has arrived with the Zuiko 1.8 50mm and a Quantaray 28mm and the other (sent via USPS ) hasn't arrived yet but includes the Vivitar 70-150. That camera also comes with a Zuiko 50mm and 28mm. The OM-2 that has arrived is in EX condition and the built-in meter works likes new. It was that nifty OTF metering, along with compact size, that made me go for the OM-2 in the first place so for old-times-sakes, I wanted to include a working OM-2 (as opposed to the OM-1) to "the collection". Watching the auctions, the Zuiko zooms are going pretty cheap also although I've always preferred using fixed length lenses.

Not having an OM-2 in hand for nearly 28 years, I must say it's even more impressive today for it's compact, almost jewel-like qualities.

So, just for today, I'll be thankful for the "D" revolution for making all the old classic cameras so widely available and affordable.
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin