Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,484   Online: 1065

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: compacts

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a Nikon L35AF 35mm compact camera for the times when I want to shoot with a simple, inexpensive, easy to operate camera that takes high-quality photos. I also use it for the times when I need to loan someone a camera. For example, when I shoot a wedding, I sometimes give this camera to a female and ask her to go into a restricted area (like the women’s dressing room) and take a few candid photos of the bride.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just wish Fuji would import the Natura S into the US. 24mm f/1.9 in a point-and-shoot sure sounds like fun. (I emailed Fuji...not a chance. Such is life.)

If I'm not planning on photographing anything, I'll have either a Canon SureShot or Fuji GA645 with me "just in case". Both have been excellent performers for me over the years. The Fuji only attracts the attention of photographers; the general public never look twice.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I origionally bought an XA2 but it is a bit heavy, its great alternative to a disposible camera as it is cheap but with a lens so much fater and shaper than that of a disposible, Plus it has some sort of focus, I used it in a pub at my mates 21st birthday, I remember loading a fresh film in it while under the influence ! Also it is theft proof, I just left it next to a very drunk freind while I went to the bar without really worring about it, I think it would be a good idea for a second hand shop to pit these old compacts against disposibles!

I recently got an MJUII (Stylus Epic) Is good but it falls short of greatness due to lack of control. I carry that around anywhere now, the XA is there incase I need a camera while on the town

Shooter
    35mm

70's/80's compacts

There were so many excellent compact 35's from the 70's, particularly, that can be picked up very reasonably on EBay and other places. Many of these, including the Canonet, Olympus 35 SP/RC/RD line, Minolta's Hi-Matic line, had lenses that were easily the equals of the average SLR lens back then--in other words, very good. Depending on the model you can get the amount of automation you want. No DX, no autowind, instead usually a good rangefinder and the silence of winding your own film. I had an Olympus 35SP that offered the choice of auto or manual, spot or average metering, guide number assisted flash, and a superb Zuiko lens that produced many chromes that I still treasure. It was the practice of some back then to buy an SLR body and other focal lengths and use the 35 RF for the normal lens. The only drawback nowadays is the mercury battery question but there are many ways around that. Plus, if you've gotten accustomed to buying so many batteries with the winders now it can be a pleasant surprise to have to buy only about one a year! Most of these cameras had very light use and you can actually find new ones every so often. I bought a Trip 35 Olympus, new in box, a year or so ago and am enjoying it for when I don't take the Leica. Yes, like the Rollei 35, they tend to be a little heavier, but don't count them out.

Shooter
    35mm
    Good Lord! The title of the thread confused me. I thought that I would learn advanced techniques to powder my nose.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by johnr55
    There were so many excellent compact 35's from the 70's, particularly, that can be picked up very reasonably on EBay and other places. Many of these, including the Canonet, Olympus 35 SP/RC/RD line, Minolta's Hi-Matic line, had lenses that were easily the equals of the average SLR lens back then--in other words, very good. Depending on the model you can get the amount of automation you want. No DX, no autowind, instead usually a good rangefinder and the silence of winding your own film. I had an Olympus 35SP that offered the choice of auto or manual, spot or average metering, guide number assisted flash, and a superb Zuiko lens that produced many chromes that I still treasure. It was the practice of some back then to buy an SLR body and other focal lengths and use the 35 RF for the normal lens. The only drawback nowadays is the mercury battery question but there are many ways around that. Plus, if you've gotten accustomed to buying so many batteries with the winders now it can be a pleasant surprise to have to buy only about one a year! Most of these cameras had very light use and you can actually find new ones every so often. I bought a Trip 35 Olympus, new in box, a year or so ago and am enjoying it for when I don't take the Leica. Yes, like the Rollei 35, they tend to be a little heavier, but don't count them out.
    I've certainly enjoyed the Canonet that I picked up recently, it's got a great fast 40mm f1.7 lens. It is small, but not nearly as small as the XA and pretty heavy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a couple of Oly XA's. Their actually kind of small for my big hands but they have good lenses and continue to work despite years of abuse. While a good big larger, heavier and more expensive, a Leica M6 is pretty compact and discreet and a lot easier for me to handle.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I just got an Olympus Stylus fo £4.20!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm not sure that it's can be called "compact" though, contax T VS is always with me. I mean always. Only exception is when I'm taking shower.
    It is very well built small tank. AF is good, manual zooming is nice. I wish finder was brighter.
    kunihiko kario

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Whenever this topic comes up, I feel compelled to speak of the camera that has totally blown me away: Canonet QL17. Great optics, small, quiet, mine has been reliable in every way and it is tiny. On top of that, my wife loves it - and that is always a bonus, since a happy wife means more photography getting done

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin