Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,663   Posts: 1,481,655   Online: 801

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: compacts

Shooter
    35mm

compacts

I kinda like 35mm compacts, (I'm on my third Ricoh R1). you don't get
    pestered by other snappers and officials tend to dismiss you as a tourist. Ok you dont get the versatility of an slr, but thats no good if getting it out the bag means you miss the shot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Couldn,t agree with you more. I have 4 "Don,t leave home without them" compacts including a Muji II and Yashica T4. Getting the shot sometimes means sacrificing creative control but you still have an image that can be reworked in the darkroom.
    No more,"Dam,wish I had my Nikon with me" situations.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yaschica T4 makes a mean 16x20, so does the Olympus XA.

Trick with the Yaschica: tape a piece of ND filter over the meter cell and eliminate any underexposure.

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    35mm
    ive heard good reports about the t4 but my other fave compact is the rollie 35, shame mine doesn't aperture priority.

Shooter
    35mm
    i also had a minolta slr which used 110 film, apparantly theres a company in holland who will load your fave 35 emulsion into 110 cartridges but i forgot their address.

Images
    There are some great bargins on ebay, I have bought several compacts for less than £20. My latest purchase has been a Samsung ecx-1, its not so compact but it has a great lens and lots of usefull features. My all time favourites are the Canon Sureshot Z115 and Z135, brilliant lenses,lovely to handle cheap to buy. Come to think of it I seem to have compacts all over the place, in my car,rucksack,coat pocket, motorcycle top box. The only problem I have is that some of them have film in for ages and I forget what shots are on them, but its always good fun to see whats on the film when its developed. Keep film alive buy a compact and stick it in your favourite coat pocket or the glove box in your car, I'm sure you will not regret it. Have fun, Bogey

Shooter
    35mm
    yeah i still have film in an olly trip and i cant recall wether its xp2 or tranny.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One of the best kept affordable secrets are the Lexio series of Konica. The 70 is especially sharp and contrasty. Another low priced and reasonably capable small rig is the Leica Mini series. I have a III that lives on in the glovebox and it has proven rugged and can deliver very sharp 5X7's. Mine gets used for snapshot sort of duty and it is very good at that with 400 film.

A bit up the price scale and requiring a bit bigger pocket are Hexar AF's. German level results and no image degradation rationalizing at all! A friend has great results with his MiniLux but has had some reliability problems. Another friend's old T3 Yashica has been kicking forever. I was with him when he bought it (right after they were introduced). It seems like it was 20? years ago? I took a picture of our state governor giving the State of the State address with it (indoors, braced on a rail, available light) that day and it ended up in the newspaper. His travel pictures with that simple rig can rival just about anyone's.
    Craig Schroeder

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've just bought two nice "compacts". The smallest one doesn't belong here since it's a plate camera...

But the other one is a Welta Welti, 35mm folding. Very compact, Tessar 50mm f:2.8 lens, and capable of producing very good negatives. No lightmeter, rangefinder or batteries
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm
    As a user of Leica M rangefinders, I don't like to sacrifice image quality or manual control. However, the Rollei 35 has high quality Zeiss formulated optics as well as full creative control in a small package, so that's usually what I take with me whenever I think a 40mm focal length and f/2.8 (Sonnar) or f/3.5 (Tessar) speed will be adequate.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin