Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,501   Online: 975

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Pentax Screw Mount Lenses

Were there any great Pentax screw mount lenses that had the auto/manual diaphragm switch?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Im not sure what you mean, the switch was usually on the camera for the Pentax series, and the lens had a small button an the inside of the back flange.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pentax had a Auto/Manual switch on all Super-Takumar lenses or newer, at least as far as I know. Earlier lenses, such as Takumar and Auto-Takumar don't have it.

In other words, there are a great deal of great Pentax screw mount lenses with the Auto/Manual switch.

Trond
    Last edited by tbaashus; 12-18-2005 at 02:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    For certain, my Super Takumar 50 mm f/1.4 has the auto-manual ring; turning it to manual stops the lens down the same as turning on the meter or pressing the shutter release. This would also allow using it as a "preset" lens on a non-auto M42 camera, as long as the operating pin doesn't interfere with anything in the camera.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider
    Were there any great Pentax screw mount lenses that had the auto/manual diaphragm switch?
    The answer is:

28mm f:3,5 yes, great lens
    50mm f:1.4 yes, outstanding lens
    85mm f:1.9 yes, superb lens
    I know a chap who does excellent portraits. The chap is a camera.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The ones I have all of them have the "switch"
    Besides the ones Marco mentiond:
    200/4
    55/1.8
    50/1.4
    17/4
    Mama took my APX away.....

Wayne,

Automatic diaphragm M42 lenses without the A/M switch are actually quite a minority, I am wondering why you are hoping to find those specifically with this feature though...

If there is a need for you to stop down the diaphragm by hand, perhaps not by using the camera's stop-down actuator (or even if you use something like a very early Contax/Pentacon or Praktica without this feature), then also consider those lenses made without automatic diaphragm altogether. I use a number of them regularly such as the Hugo Meyer Orestor 100/2.8 (first version), Pierre Angenieux Retrofocus R1 35/2.5 (first version as well), among others; they are very satisfactory too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For certain, my Super Takumar 50 mm f/1.4 has the auto-manual ring; turning it to manual stops the lens down the same as turning on the meter or pressing the shutter release. This would also allow using it as a "preset" lens on a non-auto M42 camera, as long as the operating pin doesn't interfere with anything in the camera.
    Now I understand, sorry I was confused.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Seele
    Wayne,

Automatic diaphragm M42 lenses without the A/M switch are actually quite a minority, I am wondering why you are hoping to find those specifically with this feature though...
    For use with a P adapter on a older Canon body. You have to stop the lens down manually. The reason I was thinking of using the Super Tak's was the high regard for their lenses, and quite possibly cheaper prices. Well I did a little research thru dealers and the cheaper prices is now just an imaginary dream, but I'll probably look at Ebay and see how their going. I could use a long lens over 200mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good luck in finding a Super Tak or SMC Tak over 200mm at a reasonable price.

Spotmatic users don't realize how obsolete those screwmount lenses are (you know, the one's with the great glass, tough mechanical build, and smooth focusing).

I still have my Spotmatic and wish I had never sold my 28mm Super-Tak.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin