Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,733   Posts: 1,515,355   Online: 969

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting an F80

Shooter
    35mm
    The N80 is a nice rig, but you'll definitely want to consider the F100. It's much better.

Kiron Kid

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiron Kid
    The N80 is a nice rig, but you'll definitely want to consider the F100. It's much better.
    Um, that's a bit of a bold generalisation...

The F100 is a brilliant camera with better build quality and some features that the F80 hasn't (faster motorwind, PC flash socket, compatibility with manual lenses, etc.)

The F80 is a brilliant camera with a lower price, less weight / bulk and some features that the F100 hasn't (built-in flash, switchable grid in the 'finder, screw-in manual cable release socket, etc.)

Is either one "better"? Yes, sure.
    Which one? Depends on what you're looking for in a camera.
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB
    Is either one "better"? Yes, sure.
    Which one? Depends on what you're looking for in a camera.
    I agree with you Frank. I have both an N80 and an F5. There are times I prefer to carry the N80, other times the F5. I used strictly the N80 for years (that is for 35mm work), and found it help up well.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I had an N80 and when unloading the car after a trip it fell off the suitcase it was setting on. It was in a Lowepro bag and didn't fall more than a foot and a half and presto.....the main circuit board was toast! Would cost more to fix than to replace! Nice. Well needless to say I thought if they are that darn fragile I'd pass on replacing it.
    "EVERY film and paper is good .......... for something"
    Phil Davis

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I had seen some go for really silly prices, around £100 with a lens, now they are rare to find and go for much more, happend before, I think its because Xmas is around the corner, will try next week.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepry
    I had an N80 and when unloading the car after a trip it fell off the suitcase it was setting on. It was in a Lowepro bag and didn't fall more than a foot and a half and presto.....the main circuit board was toast! Would cost more to fix than to replace! Nice. Well needless to say I thought if they are that darn fragile I'd pass on replacing it.
    Sounds like an unlucky drop, Mike. You have my sympathies. I've whacked mine into a few rocks while scrambling about but have been lucky so far.

There's no doubt that an F100 would stand up better to this kind of punishment. For the ultimate in reliability I did hear tell that a chap on Nikonians who backed a Jeep over an F5 (by accident) and it was still repairable (the F5 that is... the Jeep was probably a write-off! )
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin