Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,951   Posts: 1,557,946   Online: 1003

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting an F80

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Getting an F80

I am going to buy and F80, because I want to get a modern light weight SLR that is hopfully less likely to let me down than my OM-10, (well I suppose I could buy a flash meter) A few questions, The fancy flash metering thing does it work with any Nikon dedicated flash or just certain models? I just don't need any more underexposed flash pictures!
    Also I have been told that exposure comp is only in 1/2 EV steps, could I still set the ISO manualy in 1/3 steps? I hear it has no mirror lockup, does the Mirror lock up on self timer, and can the self timer be set to somthing like 2 seconds?
    I will be getting a Nikon 50mm F1.8, and prolly the kit lens, is the kit lens at all any good?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might want to go to the nikon website and look up the specs for this or any other nikon before you make a choice to purchase, as far as mirror lock up, your not going to find this on many of the newer model cameras, especially the models that are considered consumer models, as far as I know the F/N80 does not have an adjustable time, but the normal 10 plus or minus, in fact very few of the newer cameras other than what is considered their flagship models have this type of adjustment.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an F80 and like it very much. However, I haven't had much luck with the flash. Most of the flash pictures turn out underexposed, even when they are well within range of the SB-50DX. I actually have better luck using the TTL mode instead of the "3D Multi-Sensor Balanced Fill Flash". However, I haven't noticed that other people have this problem so it may be unique to my stuff, but I am using the camera and flash correctly. You can tell the camera to use more flash however.
    The 3DMBFF does not work with all Nikon flashes. It works with the SB-50, 80, 28 and I'm sure some others. Thom Hogan, in his book on the F80, says that the 3DMBFF is most useful to supplement existing light. Otherwise you're better of with the TTL. Also I think you need a "D" lens for the 3DMBFF.
    The mirror lock-up works with the self-timer, and you can get much more than 2 seconds.
    The kit lens is good value for the money, but of course the best lenses Nikon makes are not zooms. Really depends on what you want to do with it.
    Incidently, the built-in flash has a real guide number of about 2/3 of what Nikon claims.
    Like I said, I like the camera. I've used it from +38C with lots of humidity to -25C, and it's always worked as it should. I travel a lot with it, and it's tougher than it looks.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The timer can be set to 2, 5, 10 or 20 seconds.

The camera works with speedlights, 28, 28dx, 27, 26, 25, 24, 23, or 22. No mention of others for full operational abilities, although you can still use a auto or manual flash of any brand as long as the synch voltage is low.

No mention in the manual of mirror lock up on self timer.

1/2 stop compensation, 1/3 ev settings.

I have a mint example for sale, includes boxes. Don't need two.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmm, good information Wayne and Johnny, I am actually looking to change systems and you guys confirmed some information that I did not have the facts on, I still don't know if I will go Canon or Nikon, but thanks again.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

No metering is a deal breaker, IMHO

I had an N80 for a while. It's a nice camera, but no mirror lock up. In fact, short of the F5, no current AF nikon will give you that. It does have .5 sec mirror pre-fire on timer mode. My complaints were different, though - the viewfinder was smallish (although great if you have compared it to D70/XT etc) and it wouldn't meter with manual focus Nikons, which cuts you off from a whole world of gorgeous bargains

So, I went for the N90s instead as I am not planning on getting any G lenses. I'd suggest the N8008s, or N90s used or ideally an F100 with current prices.

-A

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've had an F80 for about 5 years and like it very much indeed. The best advice is to handle one and some of its competition; if it fits your hands then you'll know straight away.

No, it doesn't have mirror lock-up. At first I was a little concerned about it but in actual use I haven't found it a problem at all.

No, it can't use manual Nikon lenses. God knows why Nikon chose this route, but this was my first Nikon and I have all the lenses I'm likely to need now, so again it isn't a problem for me.

I haven't used it with an off-camera flash so can't comment. However, different flashes have different capabilities so you'd be well advised to check the combination before parting with hard-earned.

Yes the ISO is adjustable (as is the self-timer) and you can set a custom setting so that it ignores the DX rating and stays wherever you put it.

Can't speak for the kit lens, but the 28-105mm Nikkor is excellent and the 50mm f1.8 is a diamond-cutter!

A good Nikon resource is the Nikon user-group www.nikonians.org
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've had an N80 for a little over 5 years, and it has been very reliable, in spite of all the places I have taken it. I got it wet about a year ago and it just keeps running. Even though I now have an F5, I still carry the N80 when I need a light camera.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe you should consider the F100 too, they are going quite cheap these days..
    The F100 is a very nice camera with a hefty "pro" feel, and a nice big viewfinder.
    I loved mine(got stolen this summer ), and will soon buy a replacement.
    The 50mm f/1.8 is very sharp, but doens`t have very smooth bokeh.
    I can`t remember wich lens the N80 was bundled with , but if it`s the 28-80, steer away, it`s junk.
    Amund

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The other thing about the "80" is the "D" info for flash exposure. The camea is also pretty quiet and has a lite shutter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin