Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,947   Posts: 1,585,916   Online: 1037

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love FP4+ - my favourite film for most things. I tried it in D76 1:1... but, I like it best in Rodinal 1:50, shot at box speed or 100 (such tiny difference). I find I love the texture of the images and the tones.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i've seen some interesting results with ilfosol-s so might try that first...

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Sean,

You may already know this, but the *ist has the crippled Kaf mount, meaning that it can only use lenses from the SMC-A series or later (or 3rd party lenses with an "A" setting). SMC, SMC-M, and screwmount lenses can only be used wide open. Something to keep in mind if you decide to expand your kit.

Jerry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FWIW, Sean, FP4+ is my "standard" film in 35mm and 120. I like it souped in Ilford DD-X, which (to me) provides a nice balance between sharpness, tonality and grain, while still retaining the "character" of the film. I rate it at 125 and develop at 1:4 for Ilford's recommended times.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    Being an old UNIX guy, I'd call it the splat-ist, but my bet is Pentax prefers "star".
    Considering the stories that supposedly came out of Pentax I think an old Unix command line guy came up with the name -)

What would *ist match if you typed it in?

BTW is the *ist discontinued?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    ok finally the *ist is in hand

I'll be taking it out in about an hour on my lunch break for a little street photo action. I think I am going to like this little cam quite a lot. If all goes well I'll post some print scans this Sunday.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    ok finally the *ist is in hand

I'll be taking it out in about an hour on my lunch break for a little street photo action. I think I am going to like this little cam quite a lot. If all goes well I'll post some print scans this Sunday.
    I saw an article comparing the *ist with its Nikon and Canon counterparts. Can't recall what the counterparts were. The conclusion was that the *ist had the edge and judging by the pictures, this did seem to be borne out. As these pictures were magasine quality only, I'd expect the real difference to be even greater.

As the only mag I normally look at is Amateur Photographer, I think it must have been that one.

Pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The *ist isn't really compatible with K/M lenses, only Screwmount lenses and KA and later lenses (With the A position on the Aperture ring). Unfortunately Pentax never put the stop-down metering capability from the Digital *ists into the film *ist.

It's a nice little camera, but it pales in comparison to the MZ-S it essentially replaced.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin