Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,689   Posts: 1,548,781   Online: 1227

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Going to give the Pentax *ist a try!..

Just another "I bought a new camera" post
    Well, I was using my little mjuII for some 'lunch break' street snaps but found a few shots per roll were letting me down from a quality standpoint and lack of DOF control. I began the hunt for a similar type of point and shoot (prefer slr) with more functionality but also very small in size and small in price.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

I came close to getting a used leicaR with a prime lens but it was about 4x more than I wanted to spend. I then handled a Pentax *ist with the 28-80lens at a local camera shop and found it a pretty neat little camera. It is amazingly tiny for an slr (apparently the world's smallest slr). I ordered one up from BH since they ship to NZ, also saved over 600NZ by getting it from the US (if it doesn't work out I can always sell it for a profit). I'm looking forward to taking it for a spin and since I do not print over 8x10 the quality should be fairly good. I also ordered 4 rolls of fp4 plus in my bid to start supporting Ilford more. It seems people like rating this film at 200.. I have not settled on a developer yet so open to suggestions for a nice contrasty look with controlled highlights..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hey, Sean, can you let us know how the name *ist is supposed to be pronounced?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    no idea why they named it that, pretty odd...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Caulfield
    Just like the Hasselblad * on the lenses.

Or Pentax Star (*) ist or Star'ist

I know, pretty dumb eh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll be curious to see what you think about the optical quality as well as the build quality.

Piqued my interest, so I wanted to compare to my OM-2 (body for body). Not necessarily apples-to-apples in functionality (esp autofocus, autowind, and integrated flash), but both small, light SLRs of their respective eras.

*ist (per B&H site):
    Dimensions 4.8 x 3.3 x 2.5" (122.0 x 84.0 x 63.5mm) WxHxD
    Weight 11.8 oz (335g)

My OM-2 (per www.mir.com):
    Dimensions: 5.35"x3.27"x1.97" (136 x 83 x 50mm)
    Weight: 18.3 oz (520g)

So the *ist is a perhaps a bit more compact (depending on whether you favor width over depth or not), but much lighter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I nearly choked on my Baileys just then Sean!! I thought you meant the 'other' *ist! :o

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I found that Xtol was good with FP4+; per the Film Developing Cookbook rec.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Caulfield
    Holy deja vue Batman... Donkeybotherer-Smythe rides again. I don't think we ever managed to answer the question though...

FP4+ @ 200? I rate it at 80 in ID-11 1+1 (HP5+ at 320 in ditto).

Cheers, Bob.
    Last edited by Bob F.; 12-21-2005 at 09:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Being an old UNIX guy, I'd call it the splat-ist, but my bet is Pentax prefers "star".
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I drop the * bit and just think "ist" Funky names are good for product recognition when their easy to pronounce, I'm not sure pentax hit the mark with this one!

I rate FP4 in most concoctions at 100. I do like my shadow details though, others may not. You want faster, try some HP5 @ 320, or Delta 400 @ 320-400

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin