Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,049   Posts: 1,561,076   Online: 796

Shooter
    35mm

F6 metering question

So I'm reading and searching and feel a little silly but have to ask point blank: Are the centerweighted and spot meters of the Nikon F6 normal 18% grey meters, or are they something more like the Matrix meter, which does all of the exposure compensation for the photographer? Thanks in advance.

Shawn

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Matrix gives you the computer assisted exposure compensation. The Nikon centerweighted and spot meter settings are the traditional 18% gray meters.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Mielke
    So I'm reading and searching and feel a little silly but have to ask point blank: Are the centerweighted and spot meters of the Nikon F6 normal 18% grey meters, or are they something more like the Matrix meter, which does all of the exposure compensation for the photographer? Thanks in advance.

Shawn
    The Nikon actually has three metering modes (at least in the F5): spot, center weighted and matrix metering, that you can switch between at will. The spot and center work just like you expect them to, while the matrix metering mode takes into account its internal database of images, coupled with the distance from the subject (if you are using a "D" lens) to determine exposure. I use the Matrix meter all the time, rarely using the others; it is that good. BTW, you can custom set the center weighted meter to, I believe, change from a 12° to 18°. Note: I haven't used the F6, and this is all based on the F5. I doubt much has changed in the meter.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A spot meter would be kind of pointless if wasn't reading middle grey. So, yes - only the matrix mode does matrix metering and "intelligent" metering.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    My understanding is that in the Matrix Mode, the sensor, a 1005 pixel sensor, takes individual readings (18% grey of course) and compares the results with a database of images to determine the correct exposure.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks to all who responded. The consensus here is the only answer that makes any sense, but the manual kind of threw me off when describing zero on the electronic analog exposure display as simply "good exposure"...
    Top of page 71. I started thinking, "what could 'good exposure' possibly be? Does this mean that the camera continues to make exposure judgements on my behalf?" Glad to have that simply clarified. Forgive me, I'm used to match needle metering.

Cheers,

Shawn

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The only time you should see an analog exposure display in your cameras prism, is if you are shooting in manual exposure mode (M), which is a different subject than metering modes. The F5 (and by extension F6) shoots in Manual, Shutter Priority, Aperature Priority and Program Mode (a combination of aperature and shutter priority).
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin