Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,370   Online: 1029

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If I was to buy an older Nikon, I would go with an F2. I've had really bad experiences with the F3, but always found the F2 solid as a rock.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I picked a nice EL2 for my daughter several years ago and it has been a really nice camera for her.

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bobfowler
    My choice would probably be an FM2n. No TTL, but rugged and dependable.
    It does have (centreweighted) TTL metering - which I've had no problem with when I've used it. It doesn't do TTL flash, though.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hi Steve, The FM3a is, for me, about as close to the perfect 35mm body as can be imagined. It is something like a cross between the FE2 and the FM2n Like the FE2, it has the option to shoot aperature auto priority. Like the FM2N, it'll still work at all shutter speeds even with no batteries. It is supperior to both of them (in my opinion) because it has real match-needle light metering (instead of LED's).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a FM,FE, and an FM2n, You can't go wrong with any of them.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    I have both the F3 and the EL2. I've recently aquired an EM and--despite the rep as an economy model--I really really dig it. It's small and light, but still mostly metal. The exposure system is good and the handling is better than any of my other Nikons. And it's pretty quiet. You can get a motor drive too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If I were in your position, here is what I would consider. They all would work well with the lenses you have.

1. If I already had a Nikon F, I would get a second one but in user condition. An add-on motor drive is available but it would not be interchangeable between bodies. The F, however, would not give me the 1/125 second flash sync that I need.

2. A Nikon F2 because it would give me the interchangeable screens, interchangeable view finders, 100% view finder accuracy, and mirror lock-up that the F has. An add-on motor drive is available. It can use some of the Nikon F accessories (focusing screens, flash mounts, and some view finders). It would not, however, give me the 1/125 second flash sync that I need.

3. Nikon F3 because it would give me the interchangeable screens, interchangeable view finders, 100% view finder accuracy, and mirror lock-up that the F and F2 have. An add-on motor drive is available. It would give me an auto exposure feature that the F and F2 do not have. However, it would not give me the battery independence that the F and F2 have. It would not give me the 1/125 second flash sync that I need.

4. Nikon F4 because it would give me the interchangeable screens, interchangeable view finders, 100% view finder accuracy, and mirror lock-up that the F, F2, and F3 have. It has a built-in motor drive. It would give me more extensive metering and auto exposure features than the F, F2, and F3. Plus, it would give me an auto focus feature that I could use if I ever decided to get auto focus lenses. It would also give me the higher flash sync feature that I need. However, it would not give me the battery independence that the F and F2 have.

5. A Nikon FM series camera because it would give me the battery independence that the F and F2 have. An add-on motor drive is available. It would give me the higher flash sync feature that I need. However, it would not give me interchangeable view finders, 100% view finder accuracy, and the true mirror lock-up that the F, F2, F3, and F4 have.

All five are well made cameras that I would not hesitate to use or recommend. I have used all except the FM series. I am still using 2 of the 5 (the F2 and F4).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nice summary by narsuitus. My opinion is to go with the F2, or F2A (different meter display). I have had one since the 70's, and picked up a 2nd in the early 90's. Never a problem. I shoot with multiple formats, so they are not everyday cameras, but they've had some use.
    Read closely what narsuitus says about the differences to see what you need.

Shooter
    35mm
    The only reason I like Nikon FM is that it's capable of taking non-Ai lenses, which could really benefit Nikon users, and I am one of them.

Many of the non-Ai lenses are well designed and inexpensive these days. And the total price you pay for stays relatively low, so it's really practical.

Also, if you compare the size of the FM body with a small lens like the old Auto Nikkor H 50mm F2, attached to it, it's not that much bigger than a rangefinder camera with a normal lens.

The shutter sound on the FM is pretty loud and ugly, but that's about all the problems I think there are. So, this is the camera I alway go back to.

Shooter
    35mm
    I forgot to add, you know when you have an old chrome Nikon camera like FM and shoot in streets, people don't really get uptight about it. Maybe old Leica or Rolliei does better and has a better charm than the old Nikon, but still, you can present yourself 100 percent amateur, and that's good sometimes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin