Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,763   Posts: 1,484,032   Online: 1273

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

older Nikon bodies

I am interested in picking up an older Nikon body (film). I have an F but it is something of a classic and I don't want to take it out into the field.

I would like to be able to use flash up to 1/125

auto focus/exposure is not necessarily important

motor drive might be helpful

I have the 50-135zoom that is a constant f3.5 that I would like to use on the body

ttl might be helpful

I am just looking for suggestions and thoughts.

steve simmons

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Steve,

I'd recommend a Nikon F2A. Cheaper than the F2AS and available pretty much everywhere. You might browse KEH for a good user.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Steve,

I would recommend the FM2. I got one recently and I really like using it. The FM2n has a sync speed of 1/250, the FM2 syncs at 1/200. I got mine off eBay for $126, and it's in very good condition.

Regards,
    Sanjay

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Steve,
    I just picked up 2 Nikon bodies from fellow APUG members. A black bodied FE and a silver FE2. Great cameras and super deals. The FE2 has pretty much the same specs. as the FM2 but I much prefer the match needle metering system and the FE sensors are better for shooting under low light conditions {or so I have been told by my local Nikon guy}.
    In my opinion the folks on APUG are a better choice for used gear than ebay.

Mike

Shooter
    35mm
    Nikkormats/Nikomats are pretty good, and so are the FM series bodies. But once you buy them, it's going to be really hard to sell them again if the market is declining like this. So, be sure to pick the ones in good usable conditions that you will not regret afterwards.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    F3

Dead accurate, cheap, full size image, indestructable, same screens as your F.

Fun to use.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Images
    Steve

Just make sure, if you want to use that 50-135 zoom, that it will be compatable with what ever body you do pick up. I'm assuming, because you're shooting a F, that the lens is a non-Ai. It may mount but may not function on all Nikon cameras or at best you will not be able to use any of the auto functions, like TTL. (It's been a few years since I worked at a camera store so I forget how compatable Nikon lenses/bodies are.)

The FM's or F3's for a manual body would be a good choice. I happen to have a nice N90s for sale that is a great camera but, at best, be very limited with that lens. And I only live about 5 miles from you.

You could go down to Kurt's Camera Corral or Camera and Darkroom down on Central and try out various bodies with your lens.

Brian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't have wide experience of Nikons, but I have a Nikon FM2n. I mainly use the 50mm lens.

I'm continually amazed at the quality you can get from such a reasonably priced camera (I bought mine new several years ago). Especially the 50mm lens with extension tubes for macro work. The money you pay all goes on the basics - which is all you need - nothing wasted on extras you may find unnecessary anyway. I like low-light work and don't have a problem with metering, but then again I'm in the habit of using a hand-held meter anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by r-brian
    Steve

Just make sure, if you want to use that 50-135 zoom, that it will be compatable with what ever body you do pick up. I'm assuming, because you're shooting a F, that the lens is a non-Ai. It may mount but may not function on all Nikon cameras or at best you will not be able to use any of the auto functions, like TTL. (It's been a few years since I worked at a camera store so I forget how compatable Nikon lenses/bodies are.)

The FM's or F3's for a manual body would be a good choice. I happen to have a nice N90s for sale that is a great camera but, at best, be very limited with that lens. And I only live about 5 miles from you.

You could go down to Kurt's Camera Corral or Camera and Darkroom down on Central and try out various bodies with your lens.

Brian
    The 50-135 was only made as an AIS lens,and only for a few years. It's a fantastic piece of glass.

My choice would probably be an FM2n. No TTL, but rugged and dependable. If you want something a little more "feature laden", the FM3a would be an excellent choice.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In addition to the FM2n which I already mentioned, I will second the choice of a F3/F3HP.

For Nikon body-lens compatibilty, you can look up this URL: http://www.nikonlinks.com/unklbil/bodylens.htm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin