Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,312   Posts: 1,536,659   Online: 847

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradfordclimber
    FOR SOMEONE WHO'S SHOPPING FOR A GREAT OUTDOOR TRIPOD MY SUGGESTION IS TO GO GITZO OVER GIOTTO IN SPITE OF ADDITIONAL $$$$$
    HERE'S A LINK WHY--http://www.nextag.com/Giotto-MT-8180-Carbon--zz60695153z0z0z3z1zgiotto_tripodzBa6z1--READ-REVIEWS-html

ALSO I'VE NEVER HEARD OF A GITZO USER HAVING THESE MAJOR TYPE PROBLEMS.

A LOT OF THE MANUFACTURING GOODS THAT EVOLVE FROM THE FRENCH ARE SUBPAR IN MY EXPERIENCE--RENAULT, GIOTTO ETC. ALTHOUGH IN FAIRNESS I MUST SAY THAT PETZL (FRENCH) CLIMBING GEAR IS VERY GOOD..... LOOKING FOR SOMETHING WELL MADE? GENERALLY ITALIANS AND BRITS MAKE GOOD STUFF. AS BEST I KNOW VELBON IS A U.K. BRAND AND BOGEN/MANFROTTO AND GITZO ARE ITALIAN. PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG.

Turn you caps key off and stop YELLING, your first post here and your going to YELL at people and cause an argument? As far as Gitzo, they are good, but I have had two seperate tripods over the years made by them, that have had to go back to the factory to be fixed, one that was less than 2 months old and it collapsed with my 600 f/4 lens on it, so it happens to everybodies products.

Geeze..

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My only experience with Giotto has been with a very small ballhead I bought to use on a monopod. I have not used it much but it's a smoother and better little head than a Bogen/Manfrotto head I originally was using.

I've not heard anything bad about Giotto tripods as a whole. I would take anything said with a grain of salt. Personal experience varies and people have different expectations from the things they buy and use. I know Honda autos have wonderful reputations but I had lousy luck with my one experience with a Honda. Don't expect me to say anything good about a Honda even though my experience is not typical.

As for ballheads--Arca Swiss has a devoted following that rivals religious zealotry. I tend to avoid anything praised in those terms. I have a Gitzo 1377M (I think) ballhead that I've used for about 5 years and still find to be outstanding. I think it's still around $200.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Anupam,

It is a shame to see the thread you started, evolve into a common mudfight about brandfavourisme and snobbery. This is, I like to believe, very un Apug-like. I'm double sorry, because myself, like you was interested by the Giottoz tripod offerings. It would have been nice to read about some real hands-0n experiences, instead un-asked-for statements regarding the minimum spending sum of ballheads.

But we can still hope, or start another thread, if need be on another website.......

Jaap Jan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by naaldvoerder
    Anupam,

It is a shame to see the thread you started, evolve into a common mudfight about brandfavourisme and snobbery. This is, I like to believe, very un Apug-like. I'm double sorry, because myself, like you was interested by the Giottoz tripod offerings. It would have been nice to read about some real hands-0n experiences, instead un-asked-for statements regarding the minimum spending sum of ballheads.

But we can still hope, or start another thread, if need be on another website.......

Jaap Jan
    If you read the whole thread, you will find that many of us, did in fact post our hands on experiance with the Giotto brand, the one I have still keeps on keeping on, and I have not had a problem with it.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    If you read the whole thread, you will find that many of us, did in fact post our hands on experiance with the Giotto brand, the one I have still keeps on keeping on, and I have not had a problem with it.

Dave
    Mine was also very good, I no longer use it because I am now doing large format and it was not appropriate for that use. I apologise for my role in the argument. I certainly was not intending to start anything and I suspect that the folks who have dealt with me here know that I don't go around trying to start fights.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have one that I have been using for about 3 years now, still as sturdy as the day I bought it, I also sold them alot when I worked in the photo stores, I have never heard anything bad about them at all, in fact most mags, and photogs have reviewed them very favorably.

Just cause you have not heard of something don't mean its bad, less than 2 years ago, no one had heard of my product and its number one in the world now.

Almost ever major magazine in the world has at one time reviewed them and run ad's for them, if I remember right HP marketing is the company that handles them.

Dave
    I stand corrected Dave. Unfortunately your statement was the first and the last post in 3 pages of posts, which seems usefull to Anupam or me...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    More correction needed, Paul, Nick and Jacob, your comments were helpfull aswell, then things turned sour...

Sorry

Jaap Jan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradfordclimber
    <snip> PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG.
    Both Gitzo and Manfrotto are owned by the same UK company (the Vitec Group). Velbon is Japanese.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Peter,

When did you ever hear me make the statement about snobs? Are you Trying to get a disagreement going where we will all come out mad...

Please in the future if you respond to my message, don't be so crass as to assume you can put words in my mouth, I spoke of brand/name identification, never once did I say anything about anybody being a snob, you run into the same problem with other gear as well, I can't tell you the number of times I have been told my $8000.00 Minolta 600mm f/4 lens is junk when I am standing next to a Canon or a Nikon shooter, but my sales figures on stock, magazine as well as gallery images will prove them wrong every single time, I sell just as many images as the next guy..and this with a lens that has been called junk!

So don't presume, assume or even think you have the right to put words in my mouth.

Now if you want to, we can in private get into a pissing match about what I think constitutes a photography snob, not that it would solve anything, but at least we would not be boring the rest of the membership with our rhetoric..

Dave
    Hi Dave,

I just read your post quoted above. As should be clear in the post you were responding to, I was talking about something that Paul said, and thus not you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt
    Hi Dave,

I just read your post quoted above. As should be clear in the post you were responding to, I was talking about something that Paul said, and thus not you.
    Hi Peter,

Thanks for the post..

Dave

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin