Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,827   Posts: 1,582,084   Online: 922

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Help, Something is on inside of the front Element!!!!!!!!

Of an Non AI 50 f1.4 Nikkor lens. Actually I think its fungus and something sort of tranluscent around the edges either way it has all the makings of a science experiment. Is the lens salvagable with the front element cleaned up? Or should I just sell the beast off for parts and get another one. I have access to some really good techies here in Toronto. My first instinct is to salvage if I can because it would be a shame to write off an early Nikkor 50/1.4. Thoughts, advice, personal experiences? I am not totally lost as I have a second lens but I prefer to have two 50/1.4's ready to go.

Bill
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like it's salvagable and could just use a CLA. Although, maybe you could use it as a 'soft' lens since you have two of them.

I have used Camera Repair Canada in Port Credit to fix some of my Pentax lenses and had my Sawyer's completely cleaned.

Dave

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The translucent thing around the edges might be element separation. To repair this requires separating the elements and recementing them, which carries some risk. If you stop down the lens, it shouldn't affect the image. It's likely to be a costly repair.

Fungus looks like kind of random threads running over the element. If it hasn't been there too long, it can probably be cleaned and shouldn't be too expensive. If it has been there for a long time (more than a year, say), then it may have etched the coating and the glass, in which case, it's probably not worth it for a 50/1.4.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a 50mm f2 AI and a 50mm 1.8 E series (that I hate). I have 2 non AI 50mm's a f1.4 S and a f1.4 SC that came with my old Nikkormats, Is it worth the expense to get them AI'd? I can use them with my FM and FE, but would like to use them with my FM2N.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    KEH has 50mm f14 (Non AI, "excellent") for $89, and another (AI in "bargain") for $59.

I was thinking along the lines of David--sounds like it could be element separation. Probably more than the cost of a "new" lens.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Talked with my techie and I am handing to off to him on Saturday afternoon for inspection. Depending on the diagnosis and cost. I will then decide if the lens is beyond the pale and worth salvaging. It is just the front element that is the issue, the back one is fine.

Bill
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Matt, after dragging them all over the world the paint is worn off and a few dings but the optics are mint, think I will have them AI'd

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well to update on my lens saga, I replaced the science experiment with a non Ai Nikkor 50 1.4 SC auto which I assume is a later lens but still with the scalloped metal body. The lens is for all intents mint, which what I am looking for.

Bill
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bohica
    I have a 50mm f2 AI and a 50mm 1.8 E series (that I hate). I have 2 non AI 50mm's a f1.4 S and a f1.4 SC that came with my old Nikkormats, Is it worth the expense to get them AI'd? I can use them with my FM and FE, but would like to use them with my FM2N.
    I don't know the prices outside of Japan, but over here it's at least 50 USD to get a non Ai lens Ai-ed.

Shooter
    35mm
    Also, right now market prices for those non Ai lenses are not really stable as they used to be: Some people sell good conditioned lenses cheap, others seem to do the opposite.

So, I would say, save some money for the next good purchase.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin