Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,664   Posts: 1,481,682   Online: 759

Shooter
    Multi Format

Canon T90 longevity issues

Hi All,

Although I primarily shoot an EOS Elan 7 on a day to day basis, I shot Canon FD series cameras since the 70's and have a lot of very nice FD primes that I periodically use. Back before the EOS cameras came out I lusted after a T90, but couldn't afford one. I recently bought one and absolutely love it. I love shooting B&W film and believe that it will be around in adequate supply and variety if I am lucky enough to be around 20 years from now. My borderline-neurotic concern is that 20 years from now my T90 will be unusable because its LCD panel and "semi-permanent" lithium battery will have expired.

The old product literature says that the top panel LCD has a service life of 5 years, but it appears that in actual use they just don't die nearly that fast. The gentleman I bought my T90 from said that he bought it around 1988 and has never had it serviced. What steps can I take to have a legitimate belief that if I make it to 2026 my T90 will still be merrily clicking away?

By the way, I have no concerns that I will not be able to use my FD lenses because I have mostly mechanical EF and FTn bodies as well as an F1N, but the T90 is my favorite shooter of the whole FD line.

Thanks in advance,

Jay L.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'd guess the lithium battery could be replaced. The LCD panel might be more of an iffy proposition. I'm not sure what causes LCDs to bleed--pressure and stress I suppose. I'm not sure if there's any way to avoid that in the normal use of the camera.

It might not hurt to send it for a general CLA to one of the shops that works on T-90s while there are still parts available. You could probably have the lithium battery changed as a preventive measure.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought a T-90 in 1988 myself and had it for a decade plus. It was used off and on over that time. I had the dreaded EEEEE error and had the shutter replaced. I picked up the camera late and the problem wasn't fixed. It went back to be repaired again. Whatever they did it worked for 1 1/2 rolls and it died again. It was off warranty at that point. Years later I decided to get it fixed again and they quoted me another big chunk of change to fix it. I said go ahead and they wrecked the camera trying to diagnose it. It became a paper weight at that point. Keep in mind I already spend almost half of the cost of the camera already on repairs. I sold it for $100 for parts (with new shutter) at an extreme loss. The problem with the T-90 is if its not being used, it seezes up and then you have problems. Parts for this camera are now dried up. Its a very risky camera to buy used. As much as I loved this camera when it did work, I would never buy another one. The older FD cameras are way more reliable.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you want your T-90 to last use it. these camera much prefer to be in constant use If your not using it. Dry fire it for a few seconds on high speed using a bunch of shutter speeds.

Yes the T90 does have some issue that show up so does every other camera ever made go talk to the Leica guys OH BOY>

I own two run the shit out of them and have never had so much as a burp.

Not every gobber should work on a T90 they are the single most advanced manual focus 35mm camera ever made. SO try to find someone who has experiance so you don't end up with a paper weight.

I personally would worry more about BEING alive in 20 years before I worried about a camera crapping out you can always buy another one if it does. It;s only a camera.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I bought a used T90 in December. Its got some display issues and I find the metering and all that a bit cumbersome. But it works fine. I solved the display issues by simply looking at the settings "before and after" the faulty setting and then memorizing what is NOT being displayed. The FD lenses that came with the unit are very nice.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Wasn't the T90 for a very breif period Canons top of the line pro camera? It is FD but it looks like an EOS.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The T-90 was the top of the line T-series camera, sold at the same time as the New F-1. The T-90 has a lot of EOS features except for autofocus, and one big attraction is that you can switch metering patterns easily, without having to acquire the now rare and expensive FN focusing screens, which control the metering pattern on the F-1N.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin