Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,461   Online: 1077

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Considering the vast multitude of large format lenses out there (eBay currently has 241 listings for such lenses) I can't really see this as much of a surprise or affecting too much.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So let me see... I have no darkroom but own a 5x7" enlarger with Schneider Symmar 210mm, Schneider Componar 105mm and a Schneider Componon 150mm... I have a 90mm Super Angulon and 210mm Apo Symmar for my view camera....

Ok, I'm set. Sayonara Nikon!
    Still, a sad day, until my F4 goes on Ebay!
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It really is a non-issue. Many LF shooters swear by lenses that have not been mfg for 50-60 years and many others use older lenses. I would imagine with modern coatings, assembly and adheisves used over the last 20 years, many of these lenses if well cared for could be in use easily over 100 years from now.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Large Format
    Last year I checked on a 120mm Makro and the local dealer showed Nikon listing several LF lenses as "Limited to stock on hand" so I think they stoped some time ago and are just selling off remaining inventory. If you want new or near new buy now, this is not a big thing with the surpluss of lenses and the low prices making this a great time to find lenses. Besides a good lens is a lifetime investment if cared for. My only long term concern is the future of shutter springs.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Chinn
    I don't beleive Fuji or Rodenstock still make new lenses. I think anything retailed as new is old stock. It can take quite awhile to sell off these lenses. B&H was listing new G-Clarons 3 years after Schnieder quit making them. With all the quality used lenses out there it can take quite awhile to sell a new 355 G-Claron for $1000 when they show up quite often on Ebay for around $600.

I could be wrong about fuji and rodenstock. Hope I am!
    Fotography part of Rodenstock was bought by Linos and at the very least they make the impression that they continue manufacturing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    egad! What's this world coming to? What's next? I suppose they'll stop making the crown graphic soon.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sanderx1
    Fotography part of Rodenstock was bought by Linos and at the very least they make the impression that they continue manufacturing.
    Rodenstock announced a new lens for roll film LF shooters (100mm APO Sironar-S) at Photokina in Sept. 2004. So, they must be still making something (at least fairly recently). They have discontinued a number of their LF products over the last several years (first the APO Sironar-W line, then the APO Ronars and more recently most of the APO Sironar-N line and the longer focal lengths in the Grandagon-N series). It seems like they have trimmed back their product line to the best sellers in the most popular focal lengths and price points. But since they are still putting at least some R&D effort into new lenses for film shooters (of course, that one lens was their first new product for film users in a decade), they don't seem to have totally abandoned the market.

Too bad about Nikon. I've used a lot of their LF lenses over the years and even though their designs were pushing 25 years old, they still had some outstanding products that were very competive (the entire M series and the 90mm f8, 120mm f8 and 150mm 8 SW, etc.). Glad I got my 200M, 300M and 450M when I did.

Kerry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I first saw this news earlier today I was a bit saddened by the loss of the 35mm lenses more than anything else, until I realized two things:

1. Zeiss is about to start selling F mount lenses.
    2. I haven't bought a new Nikkor in over 20 years.

The only LF Nikkor that I use is a 480mm f/9 process lens, and I have all of the Nikkor enlarging lenses that I need. With minimal care my Nikon glass should outlast me...so no worries.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Images
    Hot damn, Maybe poeple will be so pissed they will sell theirs cheap and I will be able to buy one. Nah. Too much to wish for.

I am not surprised.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I bought my New F-1 in new and cheap when canon ceased its production. It was a big bargain.
    So please Mr.Nikon !
    I don't care about nikon cameras, but EL-Nikkors.
    kunihiko kario

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin