Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,448   Online: 935

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    edz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    I happen to agree with DF, I know I have not purchased a "brand new" item
    But a lot of us have.. like ground glass from some guy in the U.S. named Dave...
    Edward C. Zimmermann
    BSn R&D // http://www.nonmonotonic.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes Edz,

and I thank all of you, but we do happen to be talking about a different business here, with different price points and such, I don't have a full industrial manufacturing facility to support with employees and rent and such, Nikon does, in fact I find it funny alot of times when my screens show up on the used market, they sell for MORE than what I sell them for new..

And really, I would be surprised to see that amount of people who actually purchase NEW items now a days, especially lenses, you summed up up in your post before this one, it is my favorite on ebay, are you only purchasing new on ebay? or do you look for that mint lens being sold pre-owned?

Dave

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    I happen to agree with DF, I know I have not purchased a "brand new" item from a photography store for quite a while now, there is just to much available on the pre-owned market that is priced at levels I can afford, and we have to remember, a pre-owned item sold does nothing to support the manufacture of new items by any company.

Dave
    However, Nikon sold over 1.1 million SLR lens in the period of 1 april - 30 september 2005 and forecasts sales of over a million more by the end of their fiscal year in march. That is also considerably more lens sold than cameras, so existing camera owners buying more lens remains an important market.

Oh, and Nikon is not "a small company".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sanderx1

Oh, and Nikon is not "a small company".
    I did not say Nikon was a small company...their numbers, to us may be impressive, unfortunately to the bean counters who run the company, they must not be all that impressive especially when you consider that they really don't make that much profit on them, I know when I worked at the local shop here, making $25-50 on a camera was about the norm, when you consider the number of photorgaphers, 1.1 million cameras is really not all that good...I am not siding with or against Nikon and am sorry to see them cease production of many of their great film photography items.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I, myself, have not bought anything new since I bought an Mamiya RB67 outfit back in 1991. Actually, that's the first and only camera I ever bought new. A few years ago, I traded it for a used Blad.

The used market is huge and getting huger (is that a word?). Nikon is literally competing with itself on eBay and other used markets. I say it's their fault for not dropping prices. Capitalism, get used to it.
    Ara
    Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    Reality check. How many NEW, from a camera shop lenses ( cameras ) have we bought lately ?
    I've bought ...

One.

A Zenitar fisheye...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've bought a couple of new LF lenses over the past couple of years. I've found the secondhand LF lens market in Australia is somewhat limited and especially when it comes to Nikon lenses I can often import them new for less than they're being sold for secondhand here. I haven't had much luck with the auction sites. The writing has been on the wall for a while but it's still disappointing.

Roger.

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Nikon discontinues production of large format lenses.

This is what I thought was of real interest here http://www.nikon.co.uk/press_room/re...w.aspx?rid=201 :

As a result of the new strategy Nikon will discontinue production of all lenses for large format cameras and enlarging lenses with sales of these products ceasing as soon as they run out of stock. This also applies to most of our film camera bodies, interchangeable manual focus lenses and related accessories. Although Nikon anticipates that the products will still be in retail distribution up to Summer 2006.

My 35mm has been obsolete for a while, but my 4x5 is still pretty useful.

s

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnKielty
    This is what I thought was of real interest here http://www.nikon.co.uk/press_room/re...w.aspx?rid=201 :

As a result of the new strategy Nikon will discontinue production of all lenses for large format cameras and enlarging lenses with sales of these products ceasing as soon as they run out of stock. This also applies to most of our film camera bodies, interchangeable manual focus lenses and related accessories. Although Nikon anticipates that the products will still be in retail distribution up to Summer 2006.
    All this has already been posted by Dave (satinsnow) and there is a thread at http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23352

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell

Would any of us buy a new F manual lens... when we can go to eBay and get one mint for 25% of new ? Get real.

Well that is why I thought a new film body would make sence, at this moment people can get the latest model for beans, and there are lots of people who always want the latest model. New model comes ot, oops you can only get it new, So do you think they decided a new model would not reverse this or could it still be in the pipeline?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin