Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,533   Posts: 1,572,706   Online: 804

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Either way you look at it, the fact that one of the 2 35mm "superpowers" is eradicating most of its film related products is dissapointing. If a steady supply of cheap goods on the internet can cause Nikon to do this, then it can happen to every film camera company out there. If there are no new products being made and bought, then eventually it will get to the point where it becomes difficult to find used products in good condition and for reasonable prices.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I suspect the absolute flood of used good condition F100's is a major reason for Nikon. I know that over on the LJ photo communities the usual answer to 'what film camera should I buy' questions is almost always either a used F100 or a used K1000. The only time the answer is different is when the asker is a Canon user, when it's usually a new Rebel T2.

I also doubt they'd been selling large amount of AI-S glass these days.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Gutted...

I have an F80 which I love dearly. Now if anything happens to it I'll be at the mercy of the secondhand market.

I understand why Nikon are doing this, but it's a very sad day.
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A logical decision!
    Like it or not, but face it, analogue don`t sell anymore as a new item!
    The second hand market is huge, there are millions of film cameras outhere, we have alot to choose from!

Cheers

André

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    What about when it becomes hard to find a decent second hand model at a good price, its likely to happen eventually, that is why I thought Nikon would, just streamline the list of camera to somthing more realistic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Even though I use Nikon manual focus bodies, I'm not concerned about this at all. The F6 isn't my cup of tea (autofocus, no interchangable finders, doesn't play well with older lenses), and I'm sure that F3 and FM series bodies will be around for a long, long time.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keep in mind--the more electronics in the body, the shorter lifespan you can reasonable expect.

In 10 years, when a board goes out, the camera is likely toast. I wouldn't be surprised if the old manual bodies outlast the newer AF ones.

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Interesting times. Clearly we are on the cusp of a wave. Nikon have reduced their film presence to the minimum, but the have not completely abandoned it. Time will tell how this one settles, but the fact is that analog photography will be around for as long as human beings want to use it. Who knows, in a decade or so there may even be an analog revival, when digital reaches some kind of plateau. Stranger things have happened... Right now, look on the bright side. It is a great time to be an analog photographer!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bobfowler
    Even though I use Nikon manual focus bodies, I'm not concerned about this at all. The F6 isn't my cup of tea (autofocus, no interchangable finders, doesn't play well with older lenses), and I'm sure that F3 and FM series bodies will be around for a long, long time.
    I agree. Online auction sites are still the good old free market/junkyard, but everywhere else that smells like business, people have already figured out the way to live and make money.

It seems to me that quite a a handful of used camera shops in Japan are surviving on taking extra cleaning, overhauling, and Ai Conversion fees for some of the older Nikon products, and that basically has lifted the bottom-line price setting.

I wonder, if the original (still usable) condition of an old Nikkor Auto 50mm lens would sell for 50 bucks, why would you bother to charge 80, 90 bucks more to get it completely cleaned at this point? As a user's stand point, I could still use it as it is as long as it remained 50 bucks!

But quite often I find a lens that's recently cleaned and overhauled according to the store clerk, but it apparently has some dust in it. I think I understand the difficulty of what they are going through: They perhaps want to create a new generation of antique myth with the old Nikon SLR lineup.

I think eventually that will lead us users to a point where we'll have to start thinking how to assemble camera and lens parts like repair technicians do. I personally don't mind buying a junk camera and a lens for very little money and learn how to do the repairing myself.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I think I will buy a new N80 while I have the chance. I've found that my F5 is just too big and too heavy to carry when I am traveling. I have to admit, this isn't unexpected, although I wish they would keep at least one consumer 35mm still in production (like the N80).
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin