Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,631   Online: 680

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hate to admit it, but I've not sent Nikon a dime of my money in a very long time. The last new Nikkor I bought was over 20 years ago, and the last body I bought was even earlier than that. I think their decision makes perfect sense, and I wish them good luck. I wish it wasn't so, but honestly their decision has no impact at all on me (other than a probable jump in prices for used gear for the next few months as a bit of panic buying occurs).

The only downside that I can see is that we're likely to see lenses with aperture rings slowly disappearing from their catalog over the next few years. Today you can still use a lot of new Nikkor lenses on an old film body, but I doubt that will be the case within 5-10 years. They'll have to keep at least one cheap zoom with an aperture ring as long as they're selling the FM10, but something tells me that the only reason they aren't ditching that body is that they're probably under contract with Cosina to continue building it for a while longer. The aperture ring is unnecessary with the digital bodies and with the F6, so it makes little sense to continue putting it on lenses when your cameras don't require it.

Once the F6 goes (oh, how I hate the thought of that day), Nikon won't have any reason to continue making lenses that cover 35mm film unless they bring out a full frame digital camera. I don't follow the digital realm enough to know if that's likely...last year someone at Nikon mentioned that they had no plans to do so, but things change too fast to rely on what was said last year.

There are Cosina/Voigtlander lenses available for the Nikon F mount, and the Zeiss "ZF" lenses are coming, so if you really want a new lens you'll have choices for a while. (I would really like to know what the full story is with Zeiss bringing out the ZF lenses at the same time Nikon's ditching most of the film bodies...the timing on this is just too precious. Was there a back room deal? Did Nikon do this to spite Zeiss? I could spend all evening just thinking up interesting scenarios.)

The problem that I see coming in short order is that I cannot imagine Zeiss will stay in the Nikon lens game for long if they don't sell many lenses...and Zeiss glass is traditionally very expensive. Some people will buy it...I might even pony up for a wide angle if the price isn't too out of control...but I just can't see Zeiss making enough money on Nikon manual focus lenses to keep them interested. I can imagine myself buying a Zeiss 21mm or 25mm f/2.8 wideangle lens for $250 or so as Zeiss has always done nice wide angle lenses...but I can't imagine Zeiss selling the lenses at that price point. I hope I'm wrong.

Well, I've rambled enough. I own more Nikkor lenses than anyone needs, the only Nikon LF lenses that I care about are the APO process lenses which haven't been made in a long time, and I already own all of the Nikon enlarging lenses that I want...so as much as I hate to admit it, Nikons decision doesn't impact me a single bit. I suppose that's how they got to this point...people like me who loved the cameras and lenses but bought them on the used market because they were so well made that they last a very long time.

We live in interesting times.

Be well.
    Dave
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format

I was wrong as pointed out by Helen.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dave,

"The D2X is a full frame that was introduced late last year."

I don't think that's correct. The D2X has a 23.7 mm x 15.7 mm CMOS chip.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen B
    Dave,

"The D2X is a full frame that was introduced late last year."

I don't think that's correct. The D2X has a 23.7 mm x 15.7 mm CMOS chip.

Best,
    Helen
    Hi Helen,

I am sure your right, I was basing my statement on an article I read a while back, but my knowledge of digital cameras is very limited..and no one else needs to eleaborate, again, I admit when it comes to digital cameras, my knowledge is very limited...

Thanks

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yep, it's true. It snaked across the bottom of the tv on CNN. You can read their report on CNN.COM and just type Nikon in the search.

Curt

Shooter
    35mm
    Gah, I had not even thought of aperture rings - but yes, given that Nikon has stated they want to do a next gen of their primes with AF-S at some point I can certainly see them doigh those as G lens. So at some point, the supply of new lens that work on manual bodies will stop. However, that does not seem to be close at hand and a number of manual focus lens (never mind all the non-G lens) still reain in production.

Nikon would not need to keep a aperture-ringed lens in te lineup just because of fm10, as afaict the zoom it ships with is made by whoever (Cosina?) makes fm10.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I wonder what the future of 35mm Nikon lenses will be. Several have mentioned Nikon AF lenses, G lenses, etc. However, since Nikon doesn't produce a full frame DSLR, what incentive is there to continue producing lenses for that size camera. Lenses designed for the smaller digital format won't work on 35mm SLRs, so we could be looking at Nikon discontinuing their 35mm lenses as well, sometime in the future.

BTW here is the link from Nikon USA: http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/mi...E=Jan+11,+2006
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am sad but not surprised at what Nikon did. The accountants won, if I was the product manager I would have only discontinue about half the SLR line up especially in the opening price point and kept the FM3a as the status camera. The main reason why that camera tanked was the fact there are zillions of FM's and FM2's out there.
    Then again I shoot with F's and F2's so what do I care, all my glass is non ai and they have not made that going on 30 years.

Bill
    Last edited by Uncle Bill; 01-14-2006 at 04:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What came to my mind was the big sale of FDs which was done when canon ceased manual focus SLRs.
    I dropped at a local camera shop (a big one called "Yodobashi Camera") and had a little conversation with a clerk. He said Nikon doesn't seem to have clearance sale.
    Am I the only one who expected that ?
    kunihiko kario

Shooter
    Multi Format

Nikon to discontinue all film cameras except F6 and FM10!

Big blow to the film industry. Nikon has annouced that it has discontinued production of all film cameras except the F6 and FM10 to concentrate on digital. Wonder if others will follow Nikon and exit the film camera business?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin