Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,484   Posts: 1,644,624   Online: 1096

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis
    Wonder if others will follow Nikon and exit the film camera business?
    Well, look around. Kodak has discontinued b&w paper, and is making more and more digital products. Canon is mostly digital cameras now and are in a tight struggle with Nikon for the emerging digital market. Pentax is probably an iffy one if you ask me. It is perfectly feasible that digital will eventaully replace the 35mm market. This probably could explain why Canon and Nikon are getting away from film now. But this might be a boon in disguise. It might make the film market concentrate on medium and large format photographers. But who knows.

Drew
    "But what is strength without a double share of wisdom." --John Milton

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at something that doesn't really matter." --Unknown missionary

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are we going to have antoher extensive conversation on this subject????

We have had two long threads, in addition to a poll about when you bought your last 35mm camera in the last two days...

So do we really need to have another? The search function does work quite well, you might take a look around.

Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hey, interesting topic. I dont see why we cant discuss it some more...

I guess only Nikon know what their sales numbers are looking like, so only they will know how wise a choice they have made. As I have mentioned elsewhere it is telling that they haven't completely abandoned film camera and lens manufacture, just finely focussed their product line. If there are sales to be made in the analog industry then you can rest assured that cameras, film, paper and all the rest will continue to be made and sold. Perhaps not Nikon as much as in the past. Voiglander is looking good to grow its 35mm market share though. The market will change but there will be a market for many years to come. And if there is not it will be because nobody wants it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by antielectrons
    Hey, interesting topic. I dont see why we cant discuss it some more...
    Did not say don't discuss it, not that I see what it accomplishes, another big company has made a corperate choice to follow a different path, what I said, was it had been discussed, and some of the information being passed, may have already been posted.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Should I combine all three "Nikon to discontinue all film cameras" threads and then make it sticky?;-p

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcallow
    Should I combine all three "Nikon to discontinue all film cameras" threads and then make it sticky?;-p
    I think that would be a good idea, then it gives us one place to discuss this particular subject, and I feel it is important enough to warrent a sticky..

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We now have one Nikon thread. I'll leave it unsticky for now and hope that it will be noticed prior to the start of a forth "Nikon to discontinue all film cameras" thread.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by antielectrons
    Interesting times. Clearly we are on the cusp of a wave. Nikon have reduced their film presence to the minimum, but the have not completely abandoned it. Time will tell how this one settles, but the fact is that analog photography will be around for as long as human beings want to use it. Who knows, in a decade or so there may even be an analog revival, when digital reaches some kind of plateau. Stranger things have happened... Right now, look on the bright side. It is a great time to be an analog photographer!

look at the resergence of Vinyl, Most record shops sell it and If I go into the back streets of bristol I can find shops that stock nothing but!

Its the digital show at the moment, I am not saying digital is a fad it is here to stay, but film is out of fasion.

Nikon are yet to make a FF DSLR, but Kodak used to make a FF DSLF with an F mount, so I know it is possible.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ajuk
    Nikon are yet to make a FF DSLR, but Kodak used to make a FF DSLF with an F mount, so I know it is possible.
    True, but Nikon didn't make the sensors for those cameras, Kodak did. Nikon only provided the body. The problem with FF sensors is the high reject rate - last I heard it was over 90%. That is why the Canon FF sensor cameras are so expensive.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    True, but Nikon didn't make the sensors for those cameras, Kodak did. Nikon only provided the body. The problem with FF sensors is the high reject rate - last I heard it was over 90%. That is why the Canon FF sensor cameras are so expensive.
    the kodak camera was pretty universally regarded as being crap (Actually you had to talk to people who had used it -- the mags just recycled the PR) and was pulled from the market.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin