Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,847   Online: 946

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcallow
    We now have one Nikon thread. I'll leave it unsticky for now and hope that it will be noticed prior to the start of a forth "Nikon to discontinue all film cameras" thread.
    There were three? I didn't notice. I'm getting a bored with all this pessimism. I know it is better to be a pessimist than an optimist, but even so, enough is enough!

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    True, but Nikon didn't make the sensors for those cameras, Kodak did. Nikon only provided the body. The problem with FF sensors is the high reject rate - last I heard it was over 90%. That is why the Canon FF sensor cameras are so expensive.
    This makes me wonder whenever I hear people talk about digital LF gear. What makes lithography economical is the parallel-processing side of it. You get a lot of chips out of a single wafer. That's why semiconductors have been moving up in wafer size.

How many 4x5 sensors can you get on a wafer? An 8x10 sensor would take up an entire 12" wafer, basically. Who would do that for such a small market?

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am going to remain the optimst here. Film photography will be around for a long time to come, there is a huge ever evolving market for used gear of all brands and price points, its called Ebay. Ilford is still around as is Fuji and JandC Photo are doing really interesting stuff, even Kodak in its confused identity crisis is still pumping out Tri-X and Plus-X. I just got a Nikon F2 last week and its off to get its CLA, its not an FM3a but it did not cost the same as one either and it last pretty well near forever compared to the current digital lineup which maybe last 5 years and then get landfilled.
    LP's are back with a vengance, I know where I can get here in the GTA a decent turntable for about $600 and play my dad's jazz lp's.
    Bill
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattCarey
    This makes me wonder whenever I hear people talk about digital LF gear.
    Most digital LF uses a different technology. Instead of one big sensor, which isn't practical to produce, they use a scanning technology, similar to that found in a flatbed scanner.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bill
    I am going to remain the optimst here. Film photography will be around for a long time to come, there is a huge ever evolving market for used gear of all brands and price points, its called Ebay. Ilford is still around as is Fuji and JandC Photo are doing really interesting stuff, even Kodak in its confused identity crisis is still pumping out Tri-X and Plus-X. I just got a Nikon F2 last week and its off to get its CLA, its not an FM3a but it did not cost the same as one either and it last pretty well near forever compared to the current digital lineup which maybe last 5 years and then get landfilled.
    LP's are back with a vengance, I know where I can get here in the GTA a decent turntable for about $600 and play my dad's jazz lp's.
    Bill
    True Bill, but even that requires a change of thinking. No more will you be able to go into a camera store and buy a 35mm Nikon "NEW". Personally, I prefer to purchase new equipment, whenever possible.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin