Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,547   Posts: 1,573,013   Online: 866

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Opteka 500mm mirror lens for Olympus. Anyone used one?

I've seen these lenses advertised on Ebay for a while. For a 500mm lens the price sounds too good to be true. Has anyone used one of these? I've been after a long lens for a while but am not sure of the quality of these.

Here's the auction.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Andy,

I have owned a few mirrors and have never been happy with the quality of the images, this includes a Minolta AF model and the highly touted Vivitar Series 1 solid cat, I was never able to get the definition with them.

They are good in the sense they are very light weight, remember no aperture adjustments so you have to use ND filters to vary light, the one big thing I hated about mirrors is donut shaped highlights in the background when shooting with blurred highligts behind the main subject.

Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have no knowledge of the Opteka lens, from its general appearance it looks like the Centon 500 mm mirror lens that Jessops sell (or used to sell). I had one of these once, it was horrible, there was a correctly-exposed circle in the middle of the image falling off to about 2 stops underexposure at the edges of the picture.

I subsequently had a Nikon 500 mirror, which was very good - I sold it to my friend the local camera dealer and he also got great results on an African photo safari. Later I acquired a Tamron SP 500, this was also good and had the advantage of the Tamron Adaptall mount, which meant it could be used with Nikon, Pentax K and M42 (and anything else you care to name). I still have this and might even part with it for a certain figure!

It is always difficult, I think, to judge the definition of a 500 f8 mirror lens - the small aperture makes focusing tricky, you of course cannot stop down to increase depth of field, and any vibration (even with the camera on a tripod) will knock the edge off the sharpness. The big advantage, of course, is lack of crippling weight and price tag!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For the price, you might be able to fine a T mount Vivitar or something similar. I am not sure that it would be a whole lot better, but I have never even heard of these people, my guess is that they are relabeled something or other that they sell only on eBay.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin