Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,483,002   Online: 779

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No D chip ? Like a Jaguar without a cigarette lighter.

For me, manual focus is no loss at all... since AF is at best close, but never exact.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen B
    Bill,

They should work with pre-AI (pin and yoke) cameras with no metering, or using stopped-down metering. I suspect that you could put a yoke on if you wanted one. www.aiconversions.com is a useful resource for this kind of thing.

Best,
    Helen
    Thank you Helen! That is what I want to hear as the camera I had in mind for the Planner is my eye level prism F that belonged to my dad. No meter on board, no worries, I like this news even better.

Bill
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    No D chip ? Like a Jaguar without a cigarette lighter.

For me, manual focus is no loss at all... since AF is at best close, but never exact.
    When I want manual, I'll stick with the Toyo. Otherwise, I want the autofocus.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    When I want manual, I'll stick with the Toyo. Otherwise, I want the autofocus.
    Fair enough !

And there ARE always uses for a cigarette lighter in a Jag
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting question: Do we know that the lenses aren't chipped? Even if they're manual focus it probably wouldn't take much to reverse-engineer the chip. I can't see enough of the mounts on the Zeiss sites to rule out P-style lenses...perhaps somone who's more familiar with Nikons newer lenses can tell...but something tells me they're probably Ai-s.

I think Zeiss took a look at all of the people paying big money for C/Y mount Zeiss glass to mount on their DSLRs and figured they might be able to get into that market. I doubt that they'll reach a reasonable enough price point for many, but I'm sure they'll sell a few. The only questions is whether or not it will be enough. If real world tests show that the Zeiss lenses completely blow away the Nikkor lenses (unlikely, methinks, given that the 50/1.4 and 85/1.4 are well respected lenses in the Nikkor lineup), would people be willing to pay 50% more for the Zeiss? Double?

The lenses that Cosina is making for the Zeiss Ikon rangefinder are getting stellar reviews, so we know Cosina can make good lenses if they have the right people standing behind them telling them what to do...but my fear is that the prices will be closer to the Zeiss Ikon prices than to the old Contax G prices. Time will tell...pricing in Japan might not have much to do with pricing here...or it might be a very good indicator. Given that the prices are supposed to be competative to high-end Nikkor glass, and that the Nikkor 50/1.4 sells on the street for US$270, I suspect that the price for the ZF lenses will have to be closer to the old G lenses than to the new M mount lenses. (The 50/2 in M mount goes for well over $800...hardly comparable to the price of the Nikkor.) With Zeiss distributing these lenses themselves, at least you won't have to pay Hasselblad to move them around.

I hope I can save up my pennies for when these lenses hit the market. I've always loved the look of the G lenses...if the bodies had been more of my style (I'm just not an auto-anything kind of guy) I'd probably shoot little other than the G. The image quality from those lenses is breathtaking. But then I think...I own all of this fantastick Nikon glass...I could live my entire life without buying another lens and I could be very happy. I feel a bout of GAS coming on...
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongo
    Even if they're manual focus it probably wouldn't take much to reverse-engineer the chip.
    You don't have to go through all that trouble. Most third-party Nikon compatible lenses are already chipped. Obviously Nikon has made the specifications known. The chip is part of Nikon's matrix metering system - used to provide subject distance information to the camera.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    35mm
    You don't have to go through all that trouble. Most third-party Nikon compatible lenses are already chipped. Obviously Nikon has made the specifications known. The chip is part of Nikon's matrix metering system - used to provide subject distance information to the camera.
    No. Or rather, there are *two* different chips, one of which tells the camera stuff like maximum f stop and focal length and the other which tells it about the lens focus distance information. The function of the two are seprate (even if usually inside the same chip for "D" lens) and while all AF lenses have a chip with the first set of functionality, nowhere near all of them have the second, thus giving you the non-D AF lenses... Like say the older metal-barrel 50 mm/f1.8. I don't think any of the present Nikon cameras make use of the distance information for anything but flash metering. Most AF Nikon cameras however need the 'P' chip to some extent - at least for shutter priority and matrix metering (except d200...).

Its true that all modern 3rd party F mount lens have the chipped functionaility available, so one can hope so does Zeiss.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanderx1
    I don't think any of the present Nikon cameras make use of the distance information for anything but flash metering.
    The F5 uses the "D" chip (to provide distance information) for it's matrix metering system, as I believe the N80 also does. Those are the two main 35mm cameras I use.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

Shooter
    35mm
    The F5 uses the "D" chip (to provide distance information) for it's matrix metering system, as I believe the N80 also does. Those are the two main 35mm cameras I use.
    Can I suggest you open the user manual in the section on exposure metering and read what it writes there? It also contains a note on non-d lens and that you only get colour matrix metering and not 3d colour matrix metering ...

or of course, you are welcome not to believe me and not to bother to look the details up...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanderx1
    Can I suggest you open the user manual in the section on exposure metering and read what it writes there? It also contains a note on non-d lens and that you only get colour matrix metering and not 3d colour matrix metering ...
    I have.

"[font=Arial]3D Color Matrix Metering This system is ideal for quick operation In any exposure mode. With D-type AF Nikkor lenses including AF-S or AF-I Nikkor, 3D Color Matrix Metering is automatically activated. 3D Color Matrix Metering uses various types of data: scene brightness, scene, contrast, focused subject's distance (Distance Information) and color distribution of the entire frame."[/font]
    [font=Arial][/font]
    [font=Arial]NOTE: If a non-D-type lens is used, Matrix Metering is performed. Although lens' Distance Information is not given, 1,005-pixel Matrix Sensor provides the correct exposure in most lighting situations. Please also note that Matrix Metering system can only be used with lenses having a built-in CPU (such as AF Nikkor and AI-P lenses)[/font]

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...ual/index4.htm
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin