Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,814   Posts: 1,581,614   Online: 791

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Minolta gone?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well interesting development, I figured it would be Minolta next, of course after Konica saved their rear, I figured it was just a matter of time, accourding to the reports, I have read Noritsu will be taking over the minilab stuff...I started my career in photography with Minolta many years ago and they have been great cameras.....

Onward and upward I guess, I just hope fuji keeps on with the color...time will tell

Shooter
    35mm
    There is a independent MD mount camera here - http://www.braun-phototechnik.de/E/P...000/2000md.htm Given that they just announced a similar yashica mount camera (only on the german page as of yet), I would say they are likely to be commited. This is also probably the future shape of amateur 35mm cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kinda sad. I **LOVE** my SRT 101, actually, I love the lenses more. It's my first real camera. Nice creamy bokeh. My Nikon's are super duper sharp and I use it for color. But the harshness is hard to look at in B&W.
    I am going today to Terry's Camera Repair here in Socal and dropping off another SRT 101. All manual, Mirror lockup (and he puts in a split screen for me). Can't go wrong with these bad boys.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I hope they keep making their excellent 35mm film scanners.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    I hope they keep making their excellent 35mm film scanners.
    Robert,

I suspect they will, when Konica purchased Minolta, their main focus was the digital imaging division, office machines and such, so the surprise is not that great, at least to me, they are getting out of the camera industry..

As far as them getting out, the manual focus cameras have been out of production so long that it really has nothing to do with them, but the AF technology that has been copied by virtually every single other manufacture, is a loss, they were at the forefront of the AF revolution and many of the systems you see in Canon and Nikon now a days were developed and they paid royalties to Minolta..

Dave

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Dave,

I hope so; their products are excellent. People forget that while digital technology gets better, so has scanning technology. I'm ordering the Dimage 4500II Elite this week.

I remember the old SRT-101. I held on once and loved it, but couldn't afford it at the time (I had a Petri FTEE) - I thought it had a great feel and loved the sound of the shutter. Like you say, time moves on and we have to adapt. That is why I've gone almost totally LF; using 35mm just for stock purposes.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    Robert,
    a loss, they were at the forefront of the AF revolution and many of the systems you see in Canon and Nikon now a days were developed and they paid royalties to Minolta..

Dave
    They have some Flash technology that Nikon/Canon uses.
    And don't forget the Acutte-Matte screens.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Here is an article that looks at this from more of a business standpoint:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10922697/
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

[color=black]Very sad and equally disappointing. [/color]

[color=black][font='Times New Roman'][font=Verdana][size=2]Although their cameras and lenses may no longer be made it is not going to stop my enjoyment of them, or keep me from picking up more (& more) used equipment. I was very upset when Minolta discontinued the Maxxum 7 in favour of the film-less 7D.[/size][/font][/font][/color]
    [font=Trebuchet MS][/font]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Never used a Konica film or own a Minolta camera, therefore...!

Cheers

André

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin