Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,216   Online: 678

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Minolta gone?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Minolta gone?

Did I dream this? I thought I heard on the the radio that minolta are out of the film market. No more Konica films and no more film cameras. Please tell me this is not true

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    TOKYO (Reuters) - Japan's Konica Minolta Holdings Inc. said on Thursday it would withdraw from the camera and photo business and transfer a portion of its digital single lens reflex camera assets to Sony Corp (NYSE:SNE - news).

Konica Minolta plans to withdraw from the camera business as of the end of March this year, while ceasing film and color paper production by March 2007.

Konica Minolta is the world's third-largest maker of photographic film after Eastman Kodak and Fuji Photo Film Co. and a relatively small player in the digital camera market.

The company said in November it expected to post a group net loss of 47 billion yen ($407.9 million) in the business year to March, reflecting 90 billion yen in restructuring charges to rationalize production sites, write down assets and cut jobs.

Iwai said in November that the restructuring would accelerate a shift of resources to more promising areas such as color office copiers and liquid crystal display materials, and away from the deteriorating market for analog film.

Sony and Konica Minolta said in July they would jointly develop digital SLR cameras, marking the Sony's entry into the fastest-growing segment of the camera market.

The Tokyo-based company also said Vice President Yoshikatsu Ota would take the helm on April 1, replacing current President Fumio Iwai, who is set to become chairman.

Prior to the announcement, shares in Konica Minolta closed up 3.1 percent at 1,278 yen, while Sony rose 0.8 percent to 4,900 yen. The Nikkei average was up 2.3 percent.

($1=115.21 Yen)

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Good-Bye Konica PAN
    kunihiko kario

Shooter
    35mm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    R.I.P.

Is anyone running a sweepstake for the date Canon dump their film cameras too? (Sorry, gallows humour...)
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll miss the Konica/Minolta VX100 colour film.

It looks to me like the way things are going we will be left with the majority of bw materials coming from Ilford, maybe Efke and also Lucky, while the only player looking strong in the colour market is Fuji.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wonder who will pick up the ball to supply the chemistry for the Konica Minolta minilabs. They don't use "standard" liquid concentrates, it's a dry tablet system that no one else makes.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    A great pity. Never been a user of Minolta SLRs, although when I did once try one of the SRTs I was impressed by its quietness and feeling of refinement. Konica were always to me one of the "second division" of SLR manufacturers, but had some very innovative products in their time. Perhaps they were stronger elsewhere in the world.
    I do like Konica's colour print films, especially the 400ASA product in the Lexio 70W for P & S applications.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    While I've never used Konica-Minolta film, I have an ever-growing collection of Minolta manual focus cameras and lenses. Well, I guess this doesn't affect me directly -- unless I wanted to pick up a Maxxuuum (sp?) and mount my lenses with an adapter -- but it's a sentimental thing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    STEVE!

<i>Never been a user of Minolta SLRs, although when I did once try one of the SRTs I was impressed by its quietness and feeling of refinement.</i>

That is the first time I ever heard an SRT referred to as quiet. I'll agree with the refinement but my SRT101 is the loudest SLR I ever heard.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin