Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,733   Posts: 1,515,311   Online: 875

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was under the impression all Nikon lenses fit all Nikon cameras but some don't allow the camera to use some features like metering. Forgive my ignorance if I'm wrong but the newest Nikon I own was purchased in 1974 and all my AF stuff is Canon.

If only the metering function is being lost on the Nikon model mentioned, buy her a used handheld meter and a couple of old manual focus lenses. Old silver barrelled Nikkors like the 35/2.8 and 50/1.4 and the 85/1.8 all gave a great look to black and white.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Thanks for the responses

I managed to get the Vivitar macro for quite cheap - and so maybe I'll use the remaining money to get a daylight tank and some chemistry. The handheld meter isn't an option for a beginner who might depend way too much on on the matrix meter.

-A

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Lee: Pre-AI lenses won't mount on most AI cameras (There are exceptions, mostly the pre-1980 AI bodies, F3, F4 and F5, which have or can be factory-modded to have, a foldable AI coupling tab). Apart from that, they'll mount and work, but certain low-end AF bodies won't meter. Also new G lenses (Which lack an aperture ring) won't work fully on most older AF bodies or at all on any MF body except the F601m/N6000 which can use them in P and S modes.

Unfortunately with an F75, you're pretty much out of luck for good lens deals. The 70-300G is decent (almost identical in performance to the 70-300ED on film) and you can get one under $100 used. The 70-210 f4-5.6 can be also had for under $100 at KEH in excellent or bargain condition, and it's a beauty (I shot with one for a number of years and do miss it).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Anupam,

I agree the Vivitar macros are surprisingly good. An excellent lens for a beginner. I have a 90/2.5 I bought for five dollars at a garage sale and it is very sharp. In fact, it is one of the sharpest lenses I have. This Tokina MTF is the same lens as the Vivitar 90/2.5 http://www.photodo.com/prod/lens/det...cro-855.shtmla The problem is it flares a lot.

-Jason

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I still swear by the original f3.3-4.5AF 35-70 zoom. The one that came standard on most of the 6006 - 8008 era 1st generation AF bodies. I've got 20X30's on permanent display made with that little lens. I think 85 bucks would be a lot for one on Ebay these days. My daughter's (3) got all my Nikon stuff except the 300 f4 AF.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli
    I still swear by the original f3.3-4.5AF 35-70 zoom. The one that came standard on most of the 6006 - 8008 era 1st generation AF bodies. I've got 20X30's on permanent display made with that little lens. I think 85 bucks would be a lot for one on Ebay these days. My daughter's (3) got all my Nikon stuff except the 300 f4 AF.
    Jim, are you talking about this <$50 gem?

http://www.keh.com/shop/SHOWPRODUCT....urpic=0&dpsp=0

Matt

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattCarey
    Jim, are you talking about this <$50 gem?

http://www.keh.com/shop/SHOWPRODUCT....urpic=0&dpsp=0

Matt
    Yup.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used he manual focus version of the 35-70/3.3-4.5 for years (same optical formula as the original AF version). I gave it to my nephew along with an F3hp when he started going for his degree in photography...I miss that lens. Pretty amazing quality for a zoom lens of that age, and well worth what they sell for.

I'm also a fan of the old (pre-Series 1) Vivitar 90mm f/2.8 macro. It's not quite as sharp as the 90mm f/2.5 Series 1 lens at 1:1, but from 1:2 to infinity it's extremely sharp and costs considerably less than the f/2.5 because it doesn't have the "cult" status. I paid less than $50 for each of mine (one for my nephew and one for me).
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin