Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,561   Posts: 1,545,274   Online: 802

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Weston light meter.

Anyone familiar with the Master II cine light meter? Good, bad, or ugly?

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cine? Don't know about Cine. I've got a Master II someplace. It's about 60 years old. Uses Weston film speeds not ASA.

Depends on why you want it. To use? If it works then it works no worse then when it was built. It's a wide area reflective meter. With all the issues that means. It's battery free. I wouldn't pay a lot of money for a user. OTOH they are nice meters. Learn to use it and it'll be no worse then a similar modern meter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FWIW, I've also heard that the sensors in the old Westons degrade over time (i.e. produce less current for a given light level). Thus, older meters of that type may not work at all, or the readings may need to be "adjusted".
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have one. It is intended for motion pictures. Never used it in a photographic application, though. It is a nice unit.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I shoot with one myself. If you google the manual, you'll get the necessary conversions for shutter speed. Doubling fps will get you in the ballpark.

It was a superb meter in its day. Ansel Adams used the still version. I got lucky and mine's still reasonably accurate.

It's also useless in low light. Don't expect to shoot below 1/60 at f2 or so with this. And test against a known-good meter to be sure yours works.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy
    Anyone familiar with the Master II cine light meter? Good, bad, or ugly?

Mike
    I have the still version (with the Invercone attachment). It's makes a good back up meter IF you remember these three things:

Good - No batteries

Bad - Calibrated in Weston speeds, not ISO

Ugly - Pretty much useless in low light
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

T42

Shooter
    35mm
    I have the still version (with the Invercone attachment). It's makes a good back up meter IF you remember these three things:
    Good - No batteries
    Bad - Calibrated in Weston speeds, not ISO
    Ugly - Pretty much useless in low light
    I also have the still version, Bob. But I have never seen an Invercone except on the web.

Good - No batteries - I agree. Battery independence is wonderful. And they have no memory like CdS meters have.

Bad - Weston speeds - Maybe not a big problem. Multiply ISO by 0.8. Shooting 400? Set the meter to 400 x .8 = 320. Here is where I got that information:
    http://daniel.mitchell.name/cameras/...westonmtr.html

One may discover by comparing readings with a gray card and a known good meter that the difference is a little more. Whatever it is, just remember the multiplier needed to get from ISO down to Weston. It was 0.8 for my meter, but may be 0.6 for someone else's meter. Once that multiplier is known, it seems reasonable that it should work for converting any ISO to its equivalent Weston speed for the meter in question.

I read that Edward Weston came up with his own ratings because he felt the film manufacturers were cheating, by over-rating their films' sensitivity. The article said that the Weston numbers were 1/3 stop slower than the inflated ASA numbers manufacturers claimed.
    http://pub20.bravenet.com/faq/show.p...246&catid=3361

FWIW, newer Weston meters are now calibrated the same as ASA/ISO. Brand spanking new ones can still be bought in England. But they are very expensive, over 200 Euros.

Ugly - Pretty much useless in low light. - I agree, but there is a free 5X light amplifier, so to speak. A 90% reflectance sheet of paper, or the white side of a gray card. That gives about 2-1/4 stops of additional sensitivity in low light (5X).

For example, if the meter's report from the white card says shoot f/2 at [COLOR=Red]1[/COLOR]/20th, then change that to [COLOR=Red]5[/COLOR]/20th, which is 1/4th second.

Henry
    Last edited by T42; 02-01-2006 at 02:45 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Weston light meters can be serviced by http://www.megatron.co.uk/ in the UK. I had the selenium cell replaced in my Weston Master IV by them. Works perfect now. I believe they still manufactures the Euro-MASTER II, which is more or less the same as a Master V.

Trond

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Weston speed ratings are pretty old. Older then ISO. Older then ASA to I think. If you only use the meter then it's a non-issue. Just do all your tests with the meter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been using a Master II (non-Cine) for decades as my main off-camera meter. Every few years I get my SLRs CLA'd and compare the meters. My Weston and my SLRs' meters are all within a stop of each other! Not bad for stuff I bought almost forty years ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin