Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,913   Posts: 1,556,262   Online: 858

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    Personal mail me and I'll send you a Nikon 6006. FREE. It can be set for either auto or manual.

It's been sitting for a couple of years and is collecting dust.

It needs a good home.

Michael

Bravo!!
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm
    Certainly Blansky's offer of a free Nikon will be hard to beat, but my comment is that the Pentax K1000, although not ridiculously overpriced, is still pricier on the used market than many similar cameras from less prestigious brands. Ricoh's already been mentioned, but Chinon, Cosina, and Vivitar all made (or at least sold) K-mount cameras that are perfectly serviceable for this function. Sears-branded cameras were, IIRC, made by Ricoh. I've got an all-manual Vivitar V3800N that would probably do quite well for a student camera. I forgot what I paid for it, but it was peanuts on eBay and in like-new condition. Even a Zenit 122K or 212K would do nicely, provided it's a working sample. My other K-mount cameras all have auto-exposure modes. My personal favorite is the Chinon CE-4s, since it's got some handy convenience items like a film box-end holder and a little window to show you the selected aperture in the viewfinder. (Sadly, my CE-4s's meter is a bit flaky.) Among the ones I own, the CE-4s and the Pentax P30t would both make good student cameras, provided the student can be trusted to resist the temptation of using the aperture-priority auto-exposure mode.

I've mentioned K-mount cameras simply because I'm familiar with them but also because what I assume to be the popularity of the K1000 among students means that a student who picks a K-mount camera stands a good chance of being able to share lenses with other students. Expanding out of the K-mount world, I'm sure there are lots of other possibilities, but I'm less familiar with these cameras.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Pentax schmentax. I think the Spotmatics are just as good but much less money. My suggestion would be a Minolta SRT101.

But it's all academic anyway.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The K1000, while good, is often pricier than better Pentax bodies like the MX due to it's nostalgia appeal.

I'd recommend a Pentax MX, Nikon FM, Canon AE-1, Olympus OM2n or Minolta SRT-101. Spotmatics are great cameras, but it's very likely the meter will be dead.

The Vivitar SLR are the Cosina SLR, making them essentially identical to a Nikon FM10, Yashica FX-3 or Ricoh KR-5 Super. Pick the version that offers the best compatibility with currently owned glass.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I received the camera and presented it to my sister on Friday and she is very enthusiatic to learn. After my mom saw it, she now wants to learn as well. My mom has some photo experience but she just needs to learn some manual stuff. Looks like it will be a fun summer.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I second the Yashica FX-3 with is also compatable with Zeiss lenses for Contax if the budget ever allows.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The K-1000 is a student classic, but I like the Olympus OM-10, so long as it has the manual adaptor. You can get them very cheaply now and they give you a good entry to the whole OM system.

David.

Quote Originally Posted by battra92
    I received the camera and presented it to my sister on Friday and she is very enthusiatic to learn. After my mom saw it, she now wants to learn as well. My mom has some photo experience but she just needs to learn some manual stuff. Looks like it will be a fun summer.

That's great.

A camera is a terrible thing to waste.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin