Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,569,956   Online: 1013

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Help getting my sister an SLR for a class

My little sister is going to be taking a Black and White Photography class at college and it requires a film SLR. Money is a bit of an issue as she is a college student and I'd rather not lend her my N75. I was looking at the Vivitar models which seem to be a great bang for the buck, but I have been told that I can get some older cameras for much cheaper.

I was looking at some Ricoh/Sears models on eBay as well as some Pentax models. Idealy, it should have a meter but be full manual. Any suggestions?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Something like a Canon AE-1 should be a good choice, and they're plentiful and cheap. I'm sure Nikon users will recommend comparable models. The venerable Pentax K1000 is a standard choice for this kind of class.

Try keh.com, and you can be sure you'll get a camera in good working order.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was going to suggest a Pentax, David beat me to it, you can't go wrong with a K-1000, more photographers have probably started with this work horse than any other.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yashica FX-3 is a great starter camera. I received one from santa-mom many moons ago and its still a super shooter. The nice thing about the purchase was that it came from a professional shop, meaning, the chap behind the counter was the owner. He asked my mom all sorts of questions BEFORE he suggested the Yashica. Gone are the days eh?

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format

Good SLR for Students

Quote Originally Posted by battra92
    My little sister is going to be taking a Black and White Photography class at college and it requires a film SLR. Money is a bit of an issue as she is a college student and I'd rather not lend her my N75. I was looking at the Vivitar models which seem to be a great bang for the buck, but I have been told that I can get some older cameras for much cheaper.

I was looking at some Ricoh/Sears models on eBay as well as some Pentax models. Idealy, it should have a meter but be full manual. Any suggestions?
    I recommend a Pentax K100, I used to supply several local collages with SLRs for their students and they all preferred the Pentax K 1000, because it was manual, and very robust you could knock nails in with them and they'd still work, just what you need with youngsters, there are still plenty around on the second hand market in good condition at a reasonable price.

Personal mail me and I'll send you a Nikon 6006. FREE. It can be set for either auto or manual.

It's been sitting for a couple of years and is collecting dust.

It needs a good home.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

T42

Shooter
    35mm
    I agree with the consensus here that fundamentals are more quickly learned on a fundamentals centric camera. The first one that came to my mind was a Nikomat. They, like the K1000, are battle tank tough. The Nikomat/Nikkormat mounts classic Nikkors, and which are now quite reasonable and plentiful. It also has DOF preview, which I think may be of interest to more serious students.

What it lacks is that the view is cropped, like most other amateur SLRs. And CdS cells can get leaky when they are old. This means that readings in very low light will be off a little, because the meter thinks it is seeing light that is not there, so to speak. My Nikon F has this affliction, but it meters well in bright light.

Henry

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    Personal mail me and I'll send you a Nikon 6006. FREE. It can be set for either auto or manual.

It's been sitting for a couple of years and is collecting dust.

It needs a good home.

Michael
    Well done Michael !!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by battra92

Does the class require any features? Or a lack of features? The older Ricoh K models aren't very expensive. The newer Ricoh X models still aren't expensive. But the X models I think all have built in motor drive. Some of the models are also missing some features. Something like the KR-5 might be interesting. Or if more features are okay then the XR-X. Anything labeled Ricoh is going to be much cheaper then anything labeled Pentax and will often have more features to. But it's still a K mount.

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/#RICOH

Lots of manuals so you can compare features.

Shooter
    35mm
    Looks like Blansky's generosity has solved the problem for you but in the U.K. at least the Pentax ME super is better value for money. The K1000 is a bit of a collectors camera like the LX and you pay accordingly.

Interestingly in the 1982 What Camera Guide the Ricoh KR10 came out best in terms of all round value for money.

Of course supply and demand in the U.S. may result in quite different relative prices.

Pentaxuser

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin