Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,945   Posts: 1,585,840   Online: 1078

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Which Minolta lenses...?

Hallo all,

To cut a long story short - and also knowing that Minolta are withdrawing from film cameras - I have decided to buy another lens (or two) for my Minolta Dynax 5 (maxxum 5) - this currently holds the stanard 28 - 80 mm AF lens that came with it when I bought it. I need advice about lenses and would be most grateful for any suggestions.
    I am strongly thinking along the lines of a 135mm telephoto and something for portraits, maybe 100/105mm? I am not really into sports so a long telephoto is not an immediate concern. My budget is not limitless but it is not the main worry.
    But what? Minolta? Tokina? Sigma? Which one? Others? I am confused and again would be very grateful for any suggestions.

Many thanks for any help

M.
    Last edited by melmoth; 02-05-2006 at 06:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well virtually my whole career shooting has been with Minolta, the 135mm is probably going to be your most used lens, I have alot of them, I also shoot the Tamron SP lenses, the 24mm-50mm is a stunner for landscape to normal, the 35-105 and the 28-150 are both very good lenses, I am back to doing weddings and the lenses I use for them are mainly the 35-105mm macro, if you need a little reach, the 75-300 APO is good, albeit a bit expensive, another moderate telephoto zoom is the 80-200 f2.8 lens..

So many choices, so little time..

Dave

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Minolta has produced some excellent glass and the Rokkor series of lenses are superb.
    I have used the 28mm, 135mm 2.8 and the 58mm 1.2 for many years. There seems to be many manual Rokkor lenses on the auction site for reasonable prices along with the 100, 101, and 102 SRT bodies. A camera store owner once told me-
    "While the rest of the world are buying Nikons, the Japanese are buying Minoltas".
    (I really admire, use and own some nice Zenza and Zuiko glass as well- but you can't go wrong with Rokkor lenses!)

BTW, the 135mm Rokkor lens was my favorite for shooting b/w actor's headshots.
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    35mm
    excuse my ignorance but can you tell me more about BTW? cheers M

Shooter
    Multi Format
    BTW=By The Way...

The lenses that Changling is talking about will not fit your Dynax 5, without an adapter, they are great lenses, but you are talking about a Dynax/Maxxum System the SR series is the older Manual focus system, great stuff..but for us that are older, a bit more difficult to shoot, I still have a couple of XD-11's and alot of great lenses.

Dave

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Dave.

This is possibly a dumb question but is there a particular calibre/type lens that is particularly good for 'stacking' within foreground in a picture but not excessively?

M

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi M,

the 135mm has a moderate amount of stack in the forground, the best that I have found is the 200mm length lenses, they give you the stack/compression of the telephoto and also give you good enough magnification with close enough focus to render people pictures, the 135 and the 200's are my favorite lenses for general all around use, they work very good in portraits, and still ahve good enough capabilites to work with wildlife and work great for landscape...just good focal lengths in my opinion.

Dave

Shooter
    35mm
    Again cheers Dave. This is good stuff. If I were to press you to name a specific lens for this purpose, would it be Tamron? or.. ? M.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In these two ranges, I have both the 135 and the 200 Minolta glass, there were a few tamorns made in this range, but they are not common and vary rarely seen, the 200 f/2.8 Minolta in my opinion is a very underated star, the quality from this lens is fantastic, the 135 is a great performer as well, although it is about what it should sell for, but as long as it does not brake you bank, I would recommend either one of them, however, if not familer with the characteristics of telephoto photography, I would set my sights on the 135 first, this will give you the moderate stack that you asked about, and still allow you to learn a bit about the difficulties with telephoto work, but with either, I think you would be quite please..

Dave

Shooter
    35mm
    That's great. I will have a good look at both. Thanks Dave. Gotta dash. It's late here. Will check back tomorrow. Good night and good luck. M.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin