Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,506   Posts: 1,543,518   Online: 1036

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Leica Outing!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Ralph,
    it is certainly fully manual!!

I have a rangefinder Mamiya 7 and enjoy working with it a lot. It is however very different from working with my SLR's...I need more practice with it.

I really can't say whether I prefer RF or SLR, but I have grown up with SLR's and thats what I am used to now....but if I ever have a chance to own a Leica M, boy would I go for it!!! I held this Special Edition Titanium M7 once, man did that feel good....

There we go, me and my toys...I am glad that I am not the only lunatic out there when it comes to this!!

All the best

Ansgar

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Alien,

No one here is implying that your new Leica is anything other than superb.

I just can't stand some people's need to not merely enjoy their excellent equipment, but have to establish its superiority to everything and anything.

Pleae note, none of my comments were caused by you or directed at you.

Peter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Alien,
    Congrats. I love the ergonomics of the R's better than any other SLR (small, med or large). To me it goes a long way toward making the camera very shootable. They are simply lovely machines.

I think Ralph hit on something that can be expanded on. There is a lovely balance between character and precision in the glass. If you also love the medium of film there is the added advantage of seeing the film in your enlargements as well. I know for some grain is evil, but for me it is a touchstone.

As an aside.
    In my reading of this thread, no one said anything about any camera being better than another in the gross -- in the net and under specific circumstances any one camera might be the best ever.

I also know that no one cares what I can't stand...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by alien
    I really can't say whether I prefer RF or SLR, but I have grown up with SLR's and thats what I am used to now....but if I ever have a chance to own a Leica M, boy would I go for it!!! I held this Special Edition Titanium M7 once, man did that feel good....
    Ansgar,

If you ever want to try 35mm RF with interchangeable lenses, you might want to look at the Cosina Voigtlander Bessa series and lenses. The bodies run from US$69 (screw mount - with lens purchase) to a bit over US$500. I love the R3A, and the T is a stone cold steal at US$185 if you can work with separate finders. A lot of the new Cosina Leica mount glass is also of very fine quality at a small fraction of Leica prices, and the various bodies can mount new and used Leica M and Leica screw mount lenses as well as the new Zeiss M-mount lenses, so you'd have a huge palette to choose from at prices to fit your budget or empty your bank account. Check at rangefinderforum.com for various takes on the offerings.

As for the Leica R's and ergonomics, I don't dare even pick up an R8 or R9, but I have been thinking (in a very abstract way) of grabbing a nice SL2 to have a battery independent body. The R4 through R7 are a little small for my hands, and I'm not fond of a big grip or drive to bulk them up.

Lee

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Late follow-up.

Leica makes great gear. And 35mm has its place, particularly in low light situations (I own and shoot a Contax IIIa). But there is an advantage to larger negatives. If there weren't, we'd all shoot 110 film and spare our backs.

Enjoy your Leica SLR. It's a fine camera. And it will produce excellent results. But it won't enlarge as gracefully as MF.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Congratulations Alien

Have fun with the Leica R 6.2, they are really nice cameras. I toyed with a R4 a year ago and I was very close to buying one...but the call of Nikon was just a little stronger. Enjoy your new toy.

Bill
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Different Cameras for Different People

[QUOTE=mrcallow]Alien,
    Congrats. I love the ergonomics of the R's better than any other SLR (small, med or large). To me it goes a long way toward making the camera very shootable. They are simply lovely machines.

I think Ralph hit on something that can be expanded on. There is a lovely balance between character and precision in the glass. If you also love the medium of film there is the added advantage of seeing the film in your enlargements as well. I know for some grain is evil, but for me it is a touchstone.

As an aside.
    In my reading of this thread, no one said anything about any camera being better than another in the gross -- in the net and under specific circumstances any one camera might be the best ever.

John,

One thing I have learned with the maddness I call my hobby, different cameras/systems work for different people and their specific style. At this point I have a good cross section of the 1960's/1970's semi pro SLRs that matter in my collection/fleet and all have a different flavour. During the Spring/Summer I prefer my Pentax Screwmounts, fall/winter its my Nikons and Olympus OM-1. It's that subjective quality, I own a Leica M3 love shooting with it any time of year and at some point, if I can convince myself, yes I can support one more lens system a Leica R series would be really nice. It would have to be an R4 because an R8 or 9 would vapourise my finances.

Bill
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin