Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,564   Online: 886

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I got a D70s for Christmas and, since I mostly shoot rangefinders, I figure I'll more than likely do most of my SLR work with it. So, I've been debating whether I should keep my FE or sell it, since I don't know how much I'm going to use it from here on out.

Problem is, I LOVE the old thing! Really and truly love it. It would be like pulling teeth to part with it. I just don't think I can do it. *sigh*

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The FE-2 was the first camera that I ever bought, and it's still getting plenty of use today. I bought it the month after it hit the American shores, and it's never been in for a tune-up. I hate to think how many rolls have been through it. (Actually, I love to think how many rolls have been through it!) It's been all over the world with me, and although I have many other cameras and many other formats, the FE-2 will always have that special place that only a first love can have.

At the time I think I paid an extra $30 or $40 to get the black model...and am I ever glad that I did. Black cameras from that era age very gracefully.

(It's funny, how geeky all of this sounds...and how I know that all of you will understand.)

Be well.
    Dave
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongo
    The FE-2 was the first camera that I ever bought, and it's still getting plenty of use today. I bought it the month after it hit the American shores, and it's never been in for a tune-up. I hate to think how many rolls have been through it. (Actually, I love to think how many rolls have been through it!) It's been all over the world with me, and although I have many other cameras and many other formats, the FE-2 will always have that special place that only a first love can have.

At the time I think I paid an extra $30 or $40 to get the black model...and am I ever glad that I did. Black cameras from that era age very gracefully.

(It's funny, how geeky all of this sounds...and how I know that all of you will understand.)

Be well.
    Dave
    Not geeky at all. 3 of my Nikons are black (F3, FM, FM2n) and one chrome (FM). The black ones DO tend to age gracefully.

I too, have dragged my Nikons all over the world. They have always given me stellar service.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used an FE professionally for about 15 years and never had a problem with it. It was the best MF Nikon I have ever owned. By the time I sold it (about 2 years ago) it had a whole lot of brassing but still operated as if it was new.
    Dean Tomasula
    The Place for Pix
    Stock and Fine Art Photography

Shooter
    35mm
    I think the FE is one of the most underrated cameras around. It feels just right in my hands (maybe not everyone's), and the controls are perfect for me. And you can get nice examples for very reasonable prices now. I've had one for several years, but am now looking for a black one so that I can load two bodies with different film types and tell at a glance which one is which. I think this camera is a near perfect design (I wear glasses, so more eye relief would have made it perfect). I love the basic analog display in the viewfinder (needle and scale), and the fact that there's no annoying auto shutoff for the meter (that's one area where I prefer the FE over the FE2).

I just bought a 45mm "pancake" nikkor, and am looking forward to trying it on my FE...

Regards,
    Dale

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm working on saving for my wedding at the moment, but once that's taken care of I think I'll pick up an FE body. There are too many good deals on pre-AI lenses out there to pass up, and I just don't see myself actually getting around to doing any AI modifications. (I picked up a 135/2.8 that I intended to modify, but it's been eight months and the lens sits unused. As easy as AI mod's are, I have too many other priorities and I never got to the lens.)

There are some great old lenses out there to be had for very little money if you can use them, and the FE allows stop-down metering with them. Given that the prices on the bodies continue to collapse, I can see a chrome FE in my future. (Chrome to distinguish it easily...a good idea Dale.)

Be well.
    Dave
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin