Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,264   Online: 1119

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Nikon FE - now I really get it!

Just a thought for any of you out there thinking of getting a Nikon FE. I know this camera is much loved by many, and I always thought it was a good camera, but probably no better or worse than many in its class. I suppose its true, but, I got to play with one today. There is something so immediately comfortable about it, the build quality is rock solid and every thing operates with just the right weight under your fingers. The film advance is Swiss watch smooth, the shutter fires in the same soft but unmistakable fashion. The viewfinder is bright and tells you everything you need to know.
    There are intangibles about most things that separate the good from the great - this simple and honest camera (yet a very capable one) has that "something" that puts it the latter category. If you ever wondered what all the going on is about - pick one up, you'll know. And they are a bargain.
    And this is from a guy who mainly shoots Canon FD gear, so no, I am not a Nikonphile or anything like that.

Just thought I'd share

Peter.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I hate to say it, but I had a full Canon FD gear and couldn't resist switching to Nikon FM2/FE2 some years ago. A Nikon FE was my last present for my girlfriend's birthday. Enough said.

Canon stuff (A-1 and AT-1) was very good, even better from some points of view (read: shutter priority). Optics were outstanding. But Nikon stuff has a better feel to the fingers and the eyes.

I know and knew that it was stupid, that Canon is a nice brand and that my pictures now look exactly the same as they did, but I just couldn't resist switching.

Just to say how irrational it was: the fact that the A-1 has been made only in black finish and that it featured that crappy plastic thing on the aperture setting played a major role. All other considerations were minimal (uniform filter size etc.)

All the above only to let you know that I understand you, and that I envy the rationality of those who had the nerves to stay stuck with the excellent and cheaper Canon FD stuff: of course I've lost a lot of money in the trade which I could have used better.
    I know a chap who does excellent portraits. The chap is a camera.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ssssshh
    Darned, you blew it. That was supposed to be a secret
    I have the F90X and a FE2 with MD12 and that a great package. When using teles the MD12 is a must but with wideangles it is a neat little one without. Only con is the viewfinder info visibility in low light. It is allmost as good as teh F90X.
    Regards Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I too am enjoying my recently-purchased FM3a (very like the FE except for the addition of aperture-priority AE and a few other minor features).

Talking of sharing - I have been acquiring Tamron Adaptall lenses to go on my Nikon. The prices for near-mint examples are ridiculous at the moment on e-bay - £20 or so! Good news for anyone with an manual focus 35 SLR.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My first SLR was a Nikon FE2. Wish I'd never sold it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've handled but never owned the FE, nice camera. My first camera I owned was a Nikon FM and damn I loved that camera. Think FE without the automation. It was simply a pleasure to use.

Then, THE DAY arrived. Some *person* broke into my house and stole my briefcase with my university notes and my beloved FM inside. Found the briefcase down the street, empty of course.

MAY THEY ROT IN HELL - for a long time. And then some.

Moved on to an F801 after that, kind of OK but I still occasionally pine for the FM. As you say, very nice bargains now on the FM/FE range. Maybe I should ...

Glenn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought my first FE2 for $75 brand new. It had been "red-tagged," meaning that it was a return or defective camera that had been sent to service, and was "final sale" only, no return privilege.

I took the camera home and opened the box and found a letter from Nikon service that said, "Always be sure the camera has a fresh battery." I put a new battery in it, and it worked perfectly.

Then, this being my first Nikon, I had to start buying lenses...

Today, I have an F100 that I love, but still keep the FE2 as a backup.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought a FE new, still use it. Added a FM2n a few years ago and would like to add a FM3a one day.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PSSST... did you know you can change the focusing screen in the FE???

A truly pro camera in a small packagae
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Guys, I am not switching - I love my Canons... and I love my New F1 more than any other 35mm slr I have ever held in my hand. But the New F1 is a full-on pro camera. The FE is a pro-sumer model, with all that this entails - and it goes above and beyond those limits. I was just really impressed, and charmed with it. Quality gear with thos eintangible "just right" feelings about them.
    In all fairness, switching out of the FD system because of an AT or AE1 is a little silly - they are not the same level of camera as the FE/FM's. But if they felt right (and I can SO tell why they would now), why not switch. I just don't see the point in my case, I don't feel the need - everything seems a little "light-duty" next to my New F1 and the FD lenses are a bargain.

Peter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin