Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,697   Posts: 1,482,545   Online: 900

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Minolta 50mm lens

Hi,

I use a minolta Dynax camera and I love it. Although, I want to supplement my zoon lenses with a good 50mm prime.

I can afford the minolta 1.7 version but I think I would have to save a bit to pick up the 1.4.

I am thinking that the 1.7 lens should be adequate for most uses, does anyone have any thougts / advice to help me?

Many thanks in advance

Nick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Nick,

I have shot Minoltas for my work for over 20 years now and have both of the lenses you are talking about, and in real world usuage, you will find virtually NO difference in the two lenses, I use my 1.4 only because I have it, the small amount of increase in f/stop has never once made a difference in what I can shoot or when, save the money and buy more film, the 50mm f/1.7 is probably one of the best values on the market now a days, high quality, great pictures and tack sharp, as far as being adequate, I am positive you will find far more than adequate, it is great performer.

Dave

Shooter
    35mm
    Great stuff thanks. What is the focusing ring like? My only other Minolta lens is the cheap kit zoom lens and i really don't like it when you autofocus..

Shooter
    35mm
    I have the 1.7 version, and I am satisfied with it. From what I read prior to buying it, both (the 1.4 and the 1.7) are very good lenses, but for the general user, the 1.4 isn't worth the money. The difference between them is not enough to justify the price. But if you like really great lenses and can afford it, go for the 1.4. If you want a good lens and to do a smart buy (IMO), go for the 1.7.
    I am not afraid of grain.
    http://fotodura.pt.to

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by niclester
    Great stuff thanks. What is the focusing ring like? My only other Minolta lens is the cheap kit zoom lens and i really don't like it when you autofocus..
    For the most part, I find the focus rings weak on most of the AF lenses, but as it goes, the focus ring on the normal Minolta lens has never given me a problem and in those instances I need to use it, it fits the bill quite well and is easy to use...the only problem I have ever had with any of the 50mm f/1.7 lenses is the darn built in sliding hood, I normally take my pocket knife and remove them and use a rubber screw on hood, but that goes for the f/1.4 as well, got rid of it right away

Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Get a 1.7.
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have a maxxum 50mm 1.7, it's probably the best 35mm normal lens i've ever used.
    I kid you not, it's sharp. It's contrasty. It has amazing bokeh. I never had any complaints with it except that yes, the manual focus ring is a bit thin. It feels nothing like a Asahi Pentax screwmount lens (obviously) when you focus..

I'd go for the 1.7, it's a bit less expensive. You aren't missing much at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jdef
    I don't know if it's backwards compatible, or not, but I love my 58mm f 1.2 lens for my XD-11. No autofocus, but I don't miss that feature much.

Jay
    Jay,

The Minolta M mount and the A mount are not compatible, but the glass is very simular both are great glass..

Dave

Shooter
    35mm
    Cheers All!

I guess a lot of you guys are Minolta users? Do you think it may be tricky to get accessories in the future given Minolta's recent news. I am reluctant to change brand as I really like my kit and could never afford it.

Such a shame in my opinion..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I doubt you will have any problems getting other things for your system in your lifetime, they are one of the big three and hence, there is a hell of alot of stuff around for them, albeit, if you get stuck on New stuff you could have a problem in the future, but there is always great pre-owned gear around..

Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin