Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,660   Posts: 1,481,534   Online: 1102

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

35mm Balda Foler

All,
    In my travels today I stumbled upon an old Balda Folding 35mm camera with a Rodenstock 50mm lens. The camera is in remarkable shape, still has its carrying case, etc. The $15 asking price was right too . In addition, it seems to be a hell of a hunk of metal.
    I've been hunting the net, but does anyone have some info on this creature ? Is it possible to interchange lenses at all ?
    Time to order up some efke 35mm....

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    You probably have the best lens sold on that, assuming it's a Jubilette or Baldina. I have a Jubilette with Baltar triplet, which is pretty much useless at f/5.6 or wider. In theory, you can put any 50 mm lens in a compatible shutter on there, by removing the retaining ring, dropping the shutter off, and installing the other. Between rolls, obviously...

BTW, I'd recommend trying Fomapan 100 -- I like it a lot, and it's cheaper than Efke.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Steve,

I have found this site to be a wealth of information.......Matts Classic Cameras: Rangefinders and Compacts.
    He's a super guy and the links Matt provides give all sorts of cool info. Just rebuilt the lenses on a 120 Baldalux & 120 Baldix. You have to get a certain mind set, at least I do, when I switch from my usual Nikon SLR's to a folder. Great fun. Very Zen.

Mike

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Guys,
    Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware that they made fomapan 100 in 35mm...I use it in 4x5, but now I'll have to order some up in 35mm.
    Thanks for the link, Im going to give it a shot.

Regards,

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Balda was a camera manufacturer, and there were quite a few models from well before World War II on through to the 1970s with the CE 35 -- a Minox-like camera.

So for that reason, it's difficult to say which model camera you have.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveH
    Guys,
    Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware that they made fomapan 100 in 35mm...I use it in 4x5, but now I'll have to order some up in 35mm.
    I've used it in 9x12 cm, 4x5, and I have a number of rolls in 120 (though so far I've only used any of that by cutting down to 828). It's good stuff in any format; I might have to check if Freestyle carries it (under their "Arista .EDU Ultra" label) in 35 mm bulk rolls...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin